• Chapter Eighteen •

It had just shortly gone after 22:00 when Anthony had been called to his club just a mere half hour earlier that night. As he stood at one of the tables and delt with cheques and money from the gambling men surrounding him, Simon spoke up from beside him in a hushed manner.

"Bridgerton." He said, grabbing the attention of his best friend. "If you are to be with Katherine.. I will give you my blessing."

Anthony stared at his best friend with confusion. Wasn't it just the other night when he got punched across the jaw and was ordered to stay away?

He was certainly not complaining but he was curious to know what brought on this sudden change.

"Why the sudden change of mind?.." The Viscount asked slowly.

"Because you care for her.." The Duke responded. "But you better marry her. I do not wish for her to ruined."

The eldest Bridgerton nodded his head instantly. "Of course." He said. "Thank you."

Simon nodded and watched as the final round of the gambling had began only to laugh at his best friend's victory as he began to take money from the surrounding men.

"Indeed, I am inclined to investigate the provenance of such lucky dice." Lord Archibald Featherington said as handed his money over to the Viscount.

"They did not land the same way when you were casting, Featherington. Perhaps the common element is you, after all." The Duke responded. "It might be best if you showed some restraint."

"Restraint, I fear, is not among the Featherington skills." Anthony replied as he handed Archibald his slip.

"Neither is gambling." Simon added with a smirk before both him and Anthony laughed as Lord Featherington grabbed his slip and walked off.

The laughter did not go unnoticed by Simon.

"I seem to have done it, Bridgerton." He stated.

The Viscount arched a brow at his best friend. "Done what?" He asked.

"Proved that you are capable of laughing again in my presence." The Duke specified as they began to walk over to their seats at a table.

"Well, do not fault me for being doubtful of your intentions." Anthony responded as he placed his winnings into the pocket of his coat. "You certainly were with mine."

After downing the last bit of brandy in his glass, Simon took his seat at the table while his best friend sat opposite him. "Indeed, I can." He said. "For all the mischief you witnessed me make, you would also know that I would never make a fool of a lady. Certainly, not one such as your sister."

"You confound me." The Viscount replied. "You are respectful, yet I know that you have no intention of marriage. Has that changed?"

The Duke pursed his lips slightly before shifting his gaze back onto his best friend. "I cannot claim so." He answered.

"Then, whatever could your intentions be?" Anthony questioned.

"Respectful." Simon replied simply with a small smirk. He had to admit that he quite enjoyed seeing the wheels in Anthony's head turn with frustration. "Might we leave it there?"

Only this didn't seem to amuse Anthony as he narrowed his eyes slightly but only seemed to further amuse Simon.

All of a sudden the doors to the club opened and a group of ladies entered, waving their fans about in slow seductive motions as the men applauded, whistled and cheered.

Simon let out a soft chuckle as he turned in his seat to eye the ladies that had entered, all while Anthony smiled slightly until he noticed a familiar lady in a dark red dress.

He narrowed his eyes at the woman as she spoke to a few gentlemen, only for him to recognise her to be Siena.

He quickly glanced at his best friend. "Can you excuse me?" He asked and quickly got up before Simon could question him.

He quickly blended himself in with a group of men and watched as the soprano set her gaze onto the Duke before she made her way over.

"You look exceedingly familiar to me, my lord." He heard her say. "Or is it your grace?"

"I'm afraid it is." He heard Simon's response.

But that was all he could get out of the conversation but it was quite clear that Siena was flirting with Simon while he indulged in it.

What was this woman up to?

And if this a form - of some way - in getting back at him, she would be sorely mistaken..