• Chapter Nineteen •

Katherine awoke at around midnight and set her gaze on the empty space next her. She placed her hand on the spot and it was cold.. Meaning that Anthony must have left hours ago.

With a sigh, she got herself out of bed and gathered her clothes together - that surely had been picked up by the Viscount before he left to God knows where.

As she began getting herself dressed, she heard the door to the bedroom open. She knew it was him.

"You are leaving?" He asked softly.

"You left me." She replied shortly as she put on her shoes.

A frown settled his features. "Because your brother wished to speak with me." He responded.

The young lady let out a soft, heavy sigh as she heard him make his way over to her before she felt her face being cupped gently between his hands.

"Darling, he gave me his blessing to court you.." Anthony said as he stroked her cheek lightly with his thumb.

As she stared at him, she could smell the faintest whiff of alcohol sticking to his clothes before she mustered up a small smile. "That is good news.." She replied.

But the Viscount let out a sigh and dropped his hands in defeat.

"I did not do anything to ruin what we have." He said as he walked to get changed out of his clothes.

"I did not think that.." She responded softly as a frown graced her features.

"Your brother and I had a friendly game of gambling with a few gentlemen and we spoke about you and I." He explained as he began unbuttoning his shirt. "I only had three drinks."

Katherine nodded. "You do not need to explain yourself to me." She said.

"Though it feels as if I must." He replied.

"And yet I did not ask.." She responded.

The eldest Bridgerton turned around to face her. "Because you did not seem happy that we have your brother's blessing and because of the fact that I was out." He stated.

"If you are to paint me as your jailer, perhaps a ring should be on my finger and ask me of the matter, my lord." She said before she walked over to the door where she was immediately stopped by her lover.

"Wait.." Anthony pleaded softly as he held onto her hand.

"Please.." Katherine whispered, loud enough for him to hear. "I have had enough.."

She soon felt her body slowly being pulled back and she allowed it, leaning into his warm and strong embrace.

"I am sorry.." He apologised, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. "You just seemed upset.."

She nodded her head softly. "It is fine.." She said. "I still wish to sleep in my own bed tonight.."

"Darling, please.." He begged with a deep frown.

She turned her head and their gazes met. "I forgive you." She said.

"Stay with me.." He whispered, leaning his forehead against hers.

She nodded softly. "Yes." She answered and felt herself being gently pulled back inside with the door being pushed closed.

She slipped out of her dress and corset once more and into something much more comfortable.

Anthony's shirt.

She then noticed that he had begun to fold her skirt, placing her corset neatly on top of it before he hung up her dress and cloak.

"It is alright." The young lady said with a giggle. "I got it."

"It has already been done." The Viscount replied with a chuckle and felt her arms wrap around him from behind.

She pressed a kiss to his shoulder which earned her a soft hum from her lover before he turned around and cupped her face between his hands.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you too." She replied.

The couple both leaned in and met halfway in a soft, loving kiss all while she slowly grasped hold of his wrist. As they pulled away slightly, they both leaned their foreheads against each other's.

She opened her eyes and stared up at him. "Come to bed.." She whispered against his lips.

The couple climbed into bed and Katherine instantly cuddled up to him as he wrapped his arm around her.

She placed her head onto his chest and listened to the soft drum of his heart beat as he began running his fingers through her dark curls in a soothing manner. Soon enough, she had lulled off to sleep making Anthony smile down at her peaceful, sleeping figure before he leaned down and kissed her head gently.

"Sweet dreams, my love." He whispered.