• Chapter Twenty-Three •

She stepped out of the carriage in front of the Bridgerton home, giving a polite nod of thanks towards the coachmen before she made her way up the broad pathwalk and to the door, where she had knocked softly.

It was not long before Humboldt, a member of the Bridgerton family's staff, opened the door and bowed.

"Lady Hastings." He greeted.

"I need to see the Viscount.." She said with a polite smile

"I am afraid the Viscount has not left his old bedroom since returning last night." Humboldt responded.

"Could you tell him that I am here?.." She asked slowly.

Before Humboldt could respond, Benedict made his way over and gave the man a firm nod. "It's alright, Humboldt." He said. "I'll take her."

The man bowed to the young lord, as well as Lady Hastings once more, before he took his leave.

Once he was out of sight, Benedict turned toward Katherine with a small smile. "Come in." He said and stepped aside for her to enter.

Once she had entered and he had closed the door behind her, the young lord began leading her upstairs as a brief silence fell over them.

"He has not left the bedroom since Colin and I brought him home last night.." He said suddenly which made her frown softly but paused when she saw that a book fallen to the floor when the second eldest had passed it.

Benedict turned around and took note of it, quickly reaching for it but was too late as Katherine was already in reach of it.

"I got it." She said as she bent down to pick it up. The book was roughly about A4 in size with a brown leather cover and strap to keep it closed.

She was intrigued and slowly opened the book only to find that it was not a book at all, but instead Benedict's sketch book.

She turned the pages and looked through every drawing and stared on in pure amazement when she came across a sketch of herself.

Benedict watched her reaction before he inched closer slowly, knowing exactly what page in his sketchbook she had stopped at. "I'm sorry." He said, flustered.

Katherine smiled at him as she closed the book completely before handing it over to him. "You are talented." She complimented.

"It's my lines." He replied as he took the book back into his possession with a shake of his head. "They're all wrong.."

"They are perfect." The dark haired girl insisted. "Remember what I said about you being your own biggest critic?" She asked. "I am astonished that you would hide your raw talent. You got every feature of mine."

Benedict gave a small smile. "He wanted me to draw a portrait of you." He said in referral to Anthony. "I just sketched purely on how he described your every feature."

Katherine smiled at him and began to feel flutters in her stomach. Anthony really saw her in that likeness?

"Come." The young lord said and gestured her to continue following him down the hallway until he came to a sudden halt at a closed door on their left.

The young lady frowned softly and looked at Benedict in question.

"He is inside." The second eldest said with a soft smile before he made his way down to the drawing room.

Katherine bit her lip nervously and took in a deep breath before she walked inside.

The room was dark with only a hint of sunlight peaking through the curtains that were still drawn shut. His shoes lied clumsily on the floor while his coat and waist coat were strewn out across the floor with his shirt crumpled up on the opposite side of the room.