• Chapter Thirty-One •

Katherine removed the hood from her cloak as she entered Lord Granville's home where she was met with the sight of a sea of guests either smoking or pressed up against the wall in heated makeouts.

She maneuvered her way through, looking for any sign of Benedict but she had found nothing.

Just when she was about to give up, she noted a certain dark haired male - in between two women - out of the corner of her eye.

This certainly was not her definition of mentoring.

"Benedict?" She called out, making the male look up at her in surprise.

"Lady Hastings.." The second eldest Bridgerton said, jumping to his feet. "What are you doing here?"

"Who do you think asked for Granville to mentor you?" She asked rhetorically. "He is a good friend."

Benedict frowned softly at her. She arranged this mentorship for him?

"You did?.." He asked softly.

"Yes." She replied, nodding her head. "You are talented, Benedict, and your work should be displayed."

He stared at her in silence as she bit her lip while she nervously played with her hands. She had arranged for Granville to mentor him because she thought that he was exceptionally talented despite his many protests.

"Well.." She drew out slowly. "I shall let you get back to your 'paintings'." She said, glancing over towards the two women who she now recognised to be Lady Granville and the ton's modiste, Madame Genevieve Delacroix.

The second eldest Bridgerton nodded his head slowly, clearing his throat awkwardly. "Uh, yes.." He mumbled.

But that was when Genevieve stood up, approaching the two and took hold of Benedict's arm, wrapping it around Katherine's waist before pushing them closer together.

"You burn for each other, no?" The modiste whispered, clearly seeing something between the two. "Forbidden love.."

Katherine frowned and stared up at Benedict, feeling his hot breath - that was laced with alcohol - on her lips. They gazed into each other's eyes, neither one of them daring to move away.

'This is wrong!' The young lady thought to herself as thoughts of Benedict's lips on hers began to rush through her head.

"I shall take my leave.." She announced softly, trying to escape from the second eldest brother's hold but he refused to let her go as he continued to hold her in place.

She frowned softly, peering up at him before he leaned down and captured her lips with his.

The kiss was short and brief but she couldn't help but feel guilty immediately as it had been initiated, all while her mind screamed one name to her.

Anthony.

She quickly pulled away and shook her head lightly before she looked up at the young lord. "Benedict, I love him.." She whispered, referring to the Viscount.

Before Benedict could get a word out, Katherine quickly rushed out of the room, pulling her hood over her head before existing the house.

She took in a few deep breathes to calm her nerves, placing her hand over her chest as if to calm her racing heart that pounded in her chest.

She brought her hand up to her lips, touching it lightly before she glanced back at the Granville Manor.

She frowned deeply to herself as the guilt washed over her again.

She had kissed Benedict!

And she had no idea how to tell Anthony of her moment of betrayal..