• Chapter Twenty-Four •

Anthony entered the ball the following night, his eyes immediately beginning to scan the venue for any sign of his lover. Frowning to himself as he had not caught sight of her yet, he walked over a table and got himself a glass of lemonade as he absentmindedly played with the ring in his pocket.

He had planned on proposing to Katherine this evening but he was quite nervous on what her reaction would be, nevertheless her answer. They had just sorted out their small issue, would this proposal be too soon?

Taking a sip of the sweet - yet sour - drink, the Viscount sighed nervously as he continued to fiddle with the item in his pocket while his thoughts ran wild with multiple questions and scenarios of how it would all play out.

"Penny for your thoughts?" A soft, sweet voice spoke up from behind him and made him quickly turn around to find Katherine standing behind him with a soft smile on her face.

"Oh, darling.." He responded with a soft smile of his own.

"What is wrong?" She asked. "Shall we leave?"

"No, no.." He protested gently. "I am just thinking if I would or will ever find the right time after my foolish mistake. Or if you would accept so soon.."

This made Katherine frown softly. Anthony seemed quite nervous and stammered ever so slightly as he spoke in riddles.

"Anthony, I am so confused.." The young lady said. "What do you mean?"

"This is not going well.." The Viscount muttered to himself with another nervous sigh as he anxiously began to play with his hands. "I want to propose.."

Before he could continue further, she answered. "Yes."

He stared at her with surprise. Yes? He certainly did not expect that.

He expected her to say 'no' or that it was perhaps a bit too soon after they had resolved everything.

She noted his surprised expression and smiled at him happily. "Of course.." She said.

A smile made its way across his features as he took her left hand into his while he reached into his coat pocket to retrieve the ring.

She watched as he removed the glove off her hand while holding it delicately and tugged her bottom lip between her teeth as he slid the item of jewellery onto her ring finger.

Once the ring had been placed on her finger, Anthony raised her hand and brought it to his lips where he softly kissed the back of it as she stared at him lovingly.

"I love you, Katherine Basset." He said.

"I love you, Anthony Bridgerton." She responded as she stared up at him with a smile.

She moved herself off him and fell onto her side beside him, quite out of breath as he breathed heavily, turning his head to gaze at her

As she pulled the sheets to cover her chest, Anthony took the time to admire her.