The few females we had left after the massacre provided us with many pups in the last years, but they still had a long way to become warriors, and they needed protection.

The only thing that provided that so far was my agreement.

And also it was the only way to stop the extinction of the lowers, who always got caught in between our war. We needed the humans as much as the nightwalkers, for they not only provided our stock but also the slaves and the blood to pay the stone.

"You should not go alone, Raiden, at least take Liam with you" is what Rhys advised me before I left. He was worried, but I was not.

I don't know how, but I always thought that a leader is to serve his kingdom, and not the other way around. And if a king can not walk by himself amongst his people, then he is no king. To be feared was a way, but only to be feared was not how it should be.

My presence was mandatory when a challenge was thrown for the Alpha title, and I was the only one that could decide if the victor should have the title, because I had the right to challenge the winner right after the fight, in this way giving the title to another.

This was one of the many rules from the last king, very well thought in his cunning mind to strengthen his leadership.

Having the right to turn the title towards his most loyal men gained him many favors and more power. This was one of the things I was set to change. Only power could gain a title, not a favor or an oath. It is our unspoken code, and it should be respected.

Today was the best day to make this announcement. All the alphas were here, in the heart of Dirae, to witness the challenge, and all will witness how their king will renounce the right of contesting the winner's title.

After the fight, I could finally go home. I was gone for two days, and all I wanted was a huge chunk of meat in my belly and to lay dawn on the black furs on the floor. I didn't even care for the slaves any more.

There was an emptiness in me that nothing would fill, and the prince was right when he said I forgot to live. When we were rogues, we lived simple but good.

I chuckled. In those days, we wouldn't imagine being called 'My lord'.

Rhys, on the other side, would hump them night after night. He had no intention to settle for one; why would he when he could have them all?

I made a quick job of dressing myself. As I was putting on my leather boots, a lad not over twelve summers came running.

"M' lord!" He bent with his palms on his knees, catching his breath. I went close to him and he averted his eyes to the ground and bowed.

"Speak!" I ordered.

"M'lord" he said, panting; "-'Tis the Prince who sent me- "

"What happened?" Something was not good.

"He said that they caught someone. Someone big. He didn't mention who..."

"Get on your feet, lad. Is that all?"

"Ye...No..." he scratched his temple and squeezed his brows, trying to remember. I tapped my finger on the belt, but waited.

"A, I know!" He exclaimed with a smile. "He said ' the star is shinning bright'! Or light?... no, he said 'bright'! I'm sure!" Then he frowned.
"What else, boy? I haven't got all day"
His frown grew deeper, and he wiped his nose with the end of his sleeve.
"He said... well...that you should..."
"I should- ?" My patience was running low.
"Shave, lord."
I noticed a crimson shade on his cheeks and I supressed a chuckle.

"What exactly did he told you?"

His fingers were twisting knots on his white dirty shirt, and he replied shyly:

"He said that you should cut your hair and your beard because you look like a- "
"Like what?" Knowing Rhys, I had a good idea of what he might said.

"Like an old hag's cunt!"

By the time he finished, his face was red as a beetroot.

I patted his head, and he flinched. Even innocent boys feared me. They heard the rumors, too.

That made me ask myself what kind of ruler I want to be. Deep inside, I wished to be a fair king.

Remembered for something else than terror.

"Thank you, young man. Go to the great hall and eat what you want. Tell them I sent you. Now go!"

He darted like a small arrow and, before he disappeared from my sight, made a small merry dance. Looking at him, I was reminded how to smile.

My mind drifted at the message. I didn't care much for the new prisoner.

Someone big was only a vampire or a dawner, but Rhys could handle the interrogation. Despite his inoffensive good looks, he mastered the art of torture better than me. He had enough patience to break the will of a mountain, something I lacked lately.

The second message unsettled me. 'The star is shinning' meant that the box is hot again. And for him to feel its warmth from inside the big chest, then it must be really hot. I twisted the star key between my fingers. This was the third time from what I could remember. First time was eighteen years ago, the exact same night of the attack.

The rain stopped. I passed the black cloak over my shoulders and pinned it on a side with the royal wolf brooch.

And I went to do what I came for.

.......