Family Acceptance

It was weekend and Taehyung had already indicated some time ago I should block my Saturday. He didn't specify why or how long so I was completely in the dark about what we were going to do.

I woke up a bit dazed and found that Taehyung was already out of bed. I put on my bathrobe and walked out the bedroom. The smell of pancakes already filled my nose. Taehyung was very busy with his cooking and my heart softened at the sight of it. He never labeled himself as a great cook, nor did he enjoy cooking greatly and in a way the fact he was cooking breakfast made it even more cute.

      'Good morning' I said a bit surprised

      'ah you're awake' he said happily. 'I made you breakfast'

I walked to him, giving him a short kiss.

      'I see that, thank you, but why?'

       'Like I said this day is blocked because we have a date day.'

       'A date day?'

      'Yes you've been so busy with your new work and studies and me just with my job that we hardly spent any quality time together. Just the two of us.'

We arrived at a park, at the side of the city. It was again kind of abandoned. Taehyung opened the trunk and he had packed us a basket again and he took a box which I held my camera in, the one he gifted me.

       'What are we going to do?' I asked but in a way I already knew.

       'I wanted to recreate our first date in Seoul. So we are going to take pictures and after have a picnic.'

I put my arms around his neck.

        'It's perfect Taehyung.'

As that first time we spent taking pictures of each other and of the nature. It was so peaceful because there weren't any people around. Eventually we sat down for our picnic. I was again in his arms. There was a silence between the two of us, but it was a comfortable silence.

As I looked at him, it became so clear to me again how I couldn't imagine my life without him. There was not a single doubt in my mind about my feelings, but I guess there never was, it were factors outside of that that made our relationship impossible at times. Whether it was my brother opposing to it, or whether it was because he was my teacher and it wasn't really allowed. 

Relationships aren't something that just begin and survive because you are in love, they require work and compromises. And for a moment a fear crept up on me, a feeling that it could happen again, that external factors would cause trouble. 

     'What are you thinking about?' Taehyung asked while scanning my face.

     'Nothing, just how I am still so indescribably in love with you.'

I didn't want to ruin our perfect date with my sudden doubt and fear. a wide smile appeared on his face, as I had just repeated the words I said to him on that date in the park.

Monday at university

I looked around the uni cafetaria when my phone rang. I saw it was mother so I picked up.

     'Hey mom, how are you?'

     'y/n, I am good. How are you my darling?' Mom asked. I told her I was doing well and also everything about my new job. When we were done discussing our updates she finally started the subject that was the reason she called in the first place. 

     'So the reason I call is to ask you if you're able to come home the weekend after next. as you may know it's your fathers birthday and he would like to have a family dinner.'

I thought about my agenda and if I recalled correctly I did not have any plans that weekend.

      'Yes I'll be there' I assured her 'and I'll ask if Taehyung can join as well' I added.

      'Uhm yeah about that.. We just want to have a dinner with immediate family.'

I exhaled deeply. Was she serious? Every single time I suggested it there was another excuse to exclude Taehyung. We didn't have that many family gatherings and I was never that eager to join considering what Jackson had done.

     'Mother, he is my boyfriend. I live together with him, you can't ignore him forever. What if we are going to marry? Will you not show up for my wedding?'

She sighed. 'y/n, you know I like Taehyung, it's just that we hardly see you already and if you bring him it will bring tension with your brother. He just needs more time to get used to Taehyung.'

     'He is a grown man, he has had time, please mom' I pleaded. It was such a frustrating situation. All I wanted is for them to accept and welcome Taehyung to the family. Why did they all go along with Jacksons ridiculous feud.

     'y/n, just let it go for now' mother replied sternly.

     'Why do you always take his side' I exclaimed frustrated.

     'I certainly do not, but try to see things from his perspective, your are his little sister and Taehyung was his best friend and you were young when you two started seeing each other.'

      'I am an adult now, it's different.'

Mother sighed deeply  'I will not continue to argue with you y/n, it would mean a lot to your father if you can attend his birthday... alone.'

     'Fine' I said pretty aggressive.

That evening I had cooked us some beef noodles and we were eating together.

     'Did anything interesting happened today?' Taehyung asked

     'uhm mom called and uhm they would appreciate it if I come home for dad's birthday' I indicated 'so I'll go to Deagu the weekend after next.'

      'ah okay, perhaps I can join? I will reschedule my plans with Jimin' Taehyung said while putting his chopsticks down.

I fumbled with my hands.

      'They indicated it's only with the four of us so no partners' I said trying to break the news to him. Reading his face it was clear Taehyung was going over this in his head.

      'In other words they don't want me there' he eventually let out.

I looked away

      'y/n?'

       'I am sorry, it's so frustrating but they don't want any tension with Jackson.'

Taehyung scoffed 'so does that mean I can never join your family gatherings?' he asked annoyed.    

      'Mom said Jackson just needs some time'

     'Some time? It's been over a year since you told them, how much time is accepted.'

I stared down at my plate. I hated this because I couldn't blame Taehyung for his indignation. He always asked me to come along if we visited his parents and they were so kind and so welcoming.

I wished I could give him that too.

A tear rolled down my cheek. Taehyung stood up making his way to me and bended his knees so his face was at the same height as mine,

      'hey I'm sorry, it's not your fault. It's just very upsetting' Taehyung indicated.

I quickly wiped away the tear. I put my hand on his cheek.

     'You have nothing to be sorry for,  I am so sorry that my family is being so difficult. I wished nothing more than to bring you and have you there with me, because you are my family'

      'I know I just wished they also saw me like that' he said looking down.