Chapter 2: Thera-pissed

"I thought I was getting better," I mutter, staring at the ceiling blankly.

Uncle Asher sighs deeply, holding my hand in his as he says, "You will get better. It's not too late for a heart transplant."

I shake my head at him, "No, I don't want that. I'm scared and tired of going through surgeries."

I've been here at the hospital for 3 hours only and I only just woke up like 15 minutes ago. My heart was hurting so bad that I couldn't keep awake anymore and collapsed back at the bookstore. If Uncle didn't get back on time, I would have probably died back there. I hate that I have a weak heart. Because of this, I can't be with my family. Other's probably don't know of my existence, and its best they don't know. I would only bring my family down if bad people knew about my existence and weakness. I've had multiple surgeries since I was little, but nothing seemed to make me better. The pain always came back and I'm too traumatized to go through another one again.

I'd rather just die.

"You'll get better soon," Uncle gave me a small smile.

The private room door opens and I smile when I see my friend enter. She had her jet black hair put back in a bun and a nursing cap over it. She wore her grey scrubs and a face mask over her face. I've seen her have mental breakdowns before and now it all paid off.

"Hello, Miss Vincent, I am Nurse Astrith," Astrith Zheng, my best friend, smiles when she enters the room with a clipboard in hand. "How are you feeling right now? Are you experiencing any chest pains?"

I roll my eyes with a smile, "Cut the crap and speak to me like you always do."

Astrith laughs then comes over with a worried look, "You look like shit, girl."

"No need to remind me," I told her tiredly as she sits down beside me.

"Anyways, you can go home today," Astrith tells me, "Your vital signs are stable. Just get some rest and take your medicines on time. I hate seeing you in here, dude. I don't want to ever have to operate on you...it will be so hard."

I reach for her hand, saying, "That will never happen."

She smiles at me then looks down at me curiously, "What happened though? Uncle Asher said your heart was beating like crazy."

I remember what happened when my heart went crazy. I think about that handsome stranger's eyes. I couldn't really take a good look at his face because I was busy staring into his beautiful eyes. I realized how close we were and that probably triggered the pain or something. Those eyes of his made my heart go wild.

"Nothing," I lie, "It just happened."

"You sure that stranger had nothing to do with it?" Uncle piped up, throwing the newspaper on the side table. "Did he try to harm you? What did he do? He must have done something."

He made my heart go crazy just with his intense stare. Those beautiful eyes of his... I thought to myself, but sigh as I look at each of them.

"He didn't do anything," I told them and they look at me, nodding in response.

***

Walking down the school corridor, I look out the balcony to see many students leaving campus. I should leave too since my last class just ended, but I didn't want to go home just yet. Uncle and I live in the suburbs, but since I attend face to face classes now, we got me an apartment to stay at. I didn't want to head there so early.

I didn't get to see one of my psychology teachers today so I decided I would head down to her working place. She should be there right now. I walked there so I could kill some time. When I got to the clinic, I smile when I see my teacher sitting behind her desk.