Chapter 4: I like you in my shirts

Cain: July 19th 2017

It's about 230am and I can't get the image of small, fragile Brielle being beaten by a man who is suppose to protect her out of my head. I barely even know the woman and the hatred I feel for that man is indescribable. I can't even imagine anyone ever wanting to hurt that innocent girl. I need to get to sleep, I have work tomorrow morning and then it's finally the weekend. Which for me basically just means I get to work from home for a few days...

Finally after giving up on sleeping for a while I decide to go out for a smoke. I rarely smoke, sometimes at work during a shitty day or if I'm drunk. Or nights like tonight when sleep just doesn't come... I pull on a hoodie and my plaid red pj pants and make my way to the front balcony. I'm on my third puff when I hear the sliding door open, I turn around and see Brielle standing there all messy haired and wearing nothing but a long white shirt, which with the way the moon is hitting her I can see her little nipples poking through... I shake the dirty thought out of my head and take another drag.

"Couldn't sleep?" I ask her, "umm no I had another nightmare... can I bum a smoke?" She asks me sweetly. "You smoke?" I ask her, "yeah no, he would never let me smoke but I decided it's time to try new things", she shrugs. "Smoking is bad for you", I tell her with a smirk, "so are a lot of things", she simply states. I nod my head and light a smoke for her and then I turn it around in my fingers and stick it between her lips for her.

We sit in silence at the patio table on my balcony for a little while. "Can I ask you something?" She whispers, "sure", I shrug. "Umm do you have a girl friend?" She asks me shyly. I give her a little smirk and shake my head. "No, I wouldn't call any of them my girlfriends", I tell her honestly. "Oh", she says with a hint of disappointment. After a few minutes I speak up again, "I'm constantly busy with work, sometimes I'll have someone come over for dinner and-" I start "yeah I get it", she says and takes a long drag off her smoke. The way she is sitting on her chair with her legs slightly parted, I can't help but peak under her shirt... I can't see much more then smooth leg and a glimpse of blue panties that I bought her. "How long were you with your umm ex?" I ask her, not sure of what to call the piece of shit. "Over a year", she whispers.

When I don't say anything she continues, "it wasn't always bad... he actually use to be amazing", she sounds like she's trying to defend him. "But now I know it was all just an act... he managed to convince me to leave town, to leave everyone in my life behind", she continues. "After about a month away from all my family and friends, the abuse started... he turned into a completely different person. The best way to describe him is a monster". She says as she lets out a little shiver. "You cold?" I ask her, "I'm fine", she says but I don't listen I just pull off my hoodie and hand it to her. "Thanks", she grins and pulls it on. She looks so tiny in it which makes me smirk right back at her.

"How about you come to work with me a few days during the week? You can help keep the site clean as we work. I can pay you pretty good too that way you can save up to get away from Calgary". I suggest, she takes her final drag off her smoke before she puts it out in my empty beer can. "Really?" She asks me wide eyed, "yes" I tell her. "I could even make you guys lunches and stuff", she adds with a smile. "I'm sure the guys would love that", I tell her. "When do I start?" She asks me still smiling, "well tomorrow is Friday so I could use your help with cleaning. I start around 730 but I can bring you with me on my lunch", I suggest, "or I can just come with you in the morning", she shrugs. "Okay princess, 730 bright and early", I nod and stand up from the chair, I give her my hand and lift her up next to me. She turns to walk towards the door but I gently grab her arm, "hey", I whisper, she looks back up at me and then down at my hand that is caressing her arm. "Hmm?" She mutters, "you are safe here Brielle", I rub my hand slowly down her arm giving her goosebumps that I can feel against my skin, I reach her hand and give it a squeeze. "Goodnight princess".