“Thank you Grace.” Dr. Rollins said kindly.

“Yes…thank you.” Harry smiled, giving me a reassuring smile.

Dr. Rollins sat in Harry’s recliner between us, Harry sat on the couch, and I sat in my chair across from Harry. He took a sip of his water, looking terrified. I’d never been through anything like this. I’d never been to a therapy session. I knew Harry had loads of times but I think me being at this one was making him nervous. Dr. Rollins cleared her throat and looked back and forth between the two of us.

“To start off…Grace, do you have any questions about this session?”

“Um…how long will we…talk?”

“As long as it takes.”

Oh. She just got really professional.

“Okay.” I nodded.

“I need to know how serious the two of you are. Do you love each other?”

Harry let out a laugh.

“Of course we do. That’s definitely not the problem.”

I could feel the heat rising in my cheeks as Dr. Rollins looked at me.

“Of course we do Dr. Rollins. I love Harry more than anything.”

Her eyes lit up and it made me feel good. I did something right. Yes!

“Good.” She smiled, her voice low.

“Harry, tell me why I’m here. You called me and I came. Now tell me why I’m here.”

“I need you to help me be a better boyfriend to Grace.” He said, his voice low.

“How?” Dr. Rollins asked.

“I need…”

Harry was struggling but I knew I couldn’t help him. She was going to ask me the same kind of hard questions. I could feel it.

“Harry, this is never going to work if you don’t know what you need. You know what you need. Now tell me. You should know I don’t mess around.”

“I need to stop being so protective. When Grace isn’t with me, I feel like I can’t protect her and it drives me mad. I’m controlling and jealous and irrational and I don’t know how to stop. I can’t stop. I’ve tried. I really have tried but I can’t by myself. Ever since…”

I looked away. Is he really going to talk about this? Last time I brought it up, it caused a huge fight.

“Your father?” Dr. Rollins asked.

Harry nodded, looking down at his lap.