60 | The One With The Wish

Start from the beginning

"She means you're sweet!" Shree whispers.

"I know!" He whispers and winks at her. "She's sweeter though!"

"Truly Scrumptious. You're truly truly scrumptious. Scrumptious as a cherry 

"Peach parfait." Shree interjects singing. 

Madhu nods and resumes. "When you're near us. It's so delicious. Honest Truly, you're the answer to our wishes. Truly Scrumptious. Never, never, ever go away. Our hearts beat so unruly. Because we love you truly."

"That is just so lovely, Madhu." Madhav whispers yawning.

"It's working, Madhu. You made Nanna fall asleep." Shree whispers as Madhav falls asleep.

- M A D H A V    R A M A K R I S H N A - 

"Sir, wake up sir!" I hear our servant boy Anbu tell me. I rub my eyes and sit up on the bed. The curtains were opened, and the sun's golden rays fell upon me.

"Fuck! It's 10 already?" I exclaim looking at the clock on the bedside table.

"Yes sir. Wake up and get ready soon sir. Or else madam will get very angry." He says.

"How could I sleep so irresponsibly! I shouldn't have slept in this way! Ugh cant believe I messed such an important day!" I groan as I run my fingers through my hair. I was supposed to be at the orphanage by now with Shree and Madhu. Where are they? Why didn't either one of them come to wake me up?

"What important day is it today sir? Is it a meeting or something?" Anbu asks.

"You don't remember what day it is?" I ask Anbu. "Besides the fact that today is a Friday and stuff?"

He shakes his head.

"Sir, you should get up and go downstairs. Madam will be very upset with you if she knows-"

"Anbu, Anbu, my madam, you mean-"

"Your mother, sir!"

She's alive? I blink and then realization strikes me. I made a wish last night. I want to live a life where she never dies. "W-w-where is she?"

"She's in the home music studio recording her new song."

I get up and quickly run my fingers through my hair.

"Wait, do we have a music studio at home?"

"Yes sir, it's been there for many decades. In the ground floor, near the prayer room." He says looking at me quizzically. 

I dash out through my room and down the stairs. I probably ignored my father who greeted me. At the foot of the stairs, just near the prayer room, I notice a a big room with double doors. I really start to wonder how this room appeared over night. The words 'RECORDING' was glowing brightly on top of the doors. 

I slowly open the door and walk in. The corridor walls were filled with framed photos and shelves that had so many shiny awards and medals. I stop and take a look.

So many Filmfare Awards, SIIMA Awards. On a very big glass shelf there was the National Film Awards, the esteemed Padma Shri Medallion dated 2006 and the Sanad certificate was on display next to the framed picture of her receiving the Padma Shri Award from the late former president Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam. She was wearing a bright pink sari and she looked just so beautiful. My eyes refuse to leave the smiling face of my mother. 

My mother is no longer Mrs. Rukmini Ramakrishna. She's Padmashri Rukmini Ramakrishna.

I open the little door near the shelf and walk inside. There's a big audio mixer against the soundproof glass window. The two skinny men near the audio mixer wave at me.