Lightwell

Maria was helping her Father in his lab when he received a call from C.C. regarding news about the elimination of Eli Shane. At first she was just simply minding her own business, mixing solutions together like how Blakk instructed, before a certain line from the man caught her attention.

"WHAT? HIS SLUG IS SICK?!" Blakk yelled, causing Maria to turn towards him. C.C. confirmed what he saw and she notice how Blakk's expression changed immediately.

"Let him go and put a tracking ghoul on him."

C.C. could be heard protesting in the background but Blakk's words were final.

"Father. I've finished," Maria stated as she placed the tray of solutions next to her father on his desk. The man didn't even spare her a glance as he dismissed her with a wave.

Assuming that she has the rest of the day to herself, she decided to spend it training Twist since that's what she always does in her spare time. But it turned out that Twist was working on some other mission Blakk gave him, so she was on her own. Usually she would just sit in her room until her father calls for her, but a certain thought still lingers in her mind.

Eli's Infernus is sick.

She didn't understand why she's so concern. It's not like Burpy was her slug, even if they are familiar with each other. And it's not like she owes the Shanes anything either, so nothing to prompt her to worry. And she vowed to herself to not get involved with them anymore.

But she still worries.

She didn't know what it was: the fact that if Burpy dies would mean there would be nothing left for her of Will, or the thought of seeing the new Shane's world come crashing down when he loses his father's slug. But every instinct in her body is telling her to help.

Looking down at her bandoleer, Ember looked up at her with its big blue eyes, begging her to do something.

And that was the final straw that broke her resolve of keeping her distance.

Sighing to herself, she left the citadel with Luna, one destination in mind.

***

"I don't know, bro. I've never seen something like this," Kord explained as the gang gathered around the ill slug. Burpy was whimpering, having no more strength to let out a proper squeak like he always does.

"Poor little guy, he can't even move," Trixie muttered softly as she looked at the slug with pity. Eli had a worried look in his eyes as he tried to think of something, anything that he could possibly do.

And it was as if that opportunity came knocking.

Literally.

Three knocks on the metallic door of their base prompted their leader to go up and look through the peephole. On the other side was an all too familiar figure that the gang have been seeing rather recently.

"Who's that?" Pronto asked as everyone looked at Eli expectantly.

"It's Maria. What is she doing here?"

"Why's Blakk daughter here? Did he send her to take advantage of you when Burpy is down?", Kord inquired, readying his blaster in case if a fight breaks out.

"She may be strong, but I'm sure all four of us can take her down, even without Burpy," Trixie added, readying her blaster as well.

"Wait guys, I don't think that's what she's here for. If Blakk really did want me dead, he had the chance to do that with C.C.. I think she's here on her own."

Despite the small protests, Eli opened the door just when Maria was about to knock again. She tilted her head as she placed a hand on her hip. "It took you awhile to open up, Shane."