Chapter 39 - The Room of Requirements

Start from the beginning

"Daphne, I couldn't possibly-"

"Stop it, I bought it for myself, though I'm not really sure why, I've got nowhere to wear. Go on, put it on" she pushed the dress into my arms and I quickly slipped out of my uniform.

It fit over my body perfectly, it was lucky we were the same size. It had long arms, that made it look quite conservative from the front, but when you turned to see the open back it looked quite daring. I couldn't possibly wear a bra with it either.

"Perfect" Daphne gushed, as I twirled around in front of her. She handed me black heels with thin straps, that were far higher than I was used to wearing. I scowled at her but she forced me to take them. I fastened them on and looked at myself in the mirror. I couldn't have imagined myself looking so elegant. The height of the heels only elongated my frame and extenuated all of the suggestive aspects of the dress.

"Here, to finish it off" Daphne insisted, handing me a fiery red phoenix-feathered bag. It was vintage, handed down by her grandmother and made long before the harvesting of Phoenix feather had become strictly illegal. I'd often admired it, she always knew I had and it complimented the ensemble perfectly.

I hurried to the sixth floor to find Professor Slughorn's quarters to join the rest of the confused students, not quite sure what I should be expecting. I opened the door slowly and peered my head round. Slughorn was already enthralled in conversation with a few students at the table, while Draco and Blaise stood pouring themselves drinks by the Professor's personal collection of spirits and tonics.

Blaise saw me first, his eyes running up and down my body before he nudged Draco at his side, to get his attention. Draco turned, a short glass filled with Firewhiskey and steaming ice cubes in one hand, he did just as Blaise had, scanning my body before smirking at me coolly.

I ignored the pair and went to sit at the table. There were familiar faces, of course and everyone appeared to have split themselves off to sit in their houses instinctively. Me, Blaise and Draco were the only Slytherins, so I sat down next to Hermione, who was bickering with Harry quietly, leaving two empty spaces beside me. I glanced around and saw that Cormac McLaggen was staring over at me. He flashed me a bright white smile and got up to his seat to greet me after I acknowledged him.

"Got yourself a drink yet?" he asked, bending down close to my ear. I shook my head and he outstretched he arm to guide me over to the drinks cabinet. Draco and Blaise were just leaving and I saw Draco turn to watch us as he sauntered over to fill the seat next to mine at the table.

As he poured me a glass of Nettle wine, McLaggen traced his fingers down the open back of my dress. My skin prickled under his touch and made me squirm uncomfortably. Cautiously, I moved slightly away from him and turned back to look at Draco, who had his eyes fixed on us. I could tell from the sneer on his face that he was silently seething.

"Ah see, I've got you for a drink" McLaggen laughed softly, "and I didn't need to use a Love Potion"

"What?" I asked, I'd barely registered that he'd made a joke, as I'd been so preoccupied looking at Draco.

"You know, back in summer" he explained awkwardly, "Fred said it'd take 5 bottles for you to go for a drink with me"

"Oh yes" I smiled, but I daren't laugh, it really wasn't that funny and I was in no mood to inflate his ego. Jokes were always painfully unfunny when you had to explain them.

"How is he, by the way?" McLaggen asked coolly. Surely he knew, from his arrogant tone of voice I could have been certain. Half our year knew I'd been skipping classes to wallow in my dorm but I supposed that maybe it hadn't reached the seventh years.