Chapter 31

Chapter 31
Good-bye

Maverick used the back of his hand to feel my forehead. I cannot seem to keep my eyes open due to the heaviness of my eyelids. With hazy visions, I saw him fix the bedsheet so it would hug my body more. The warmth it suddenly gave me is pulling me back to sleep.

"We are nearly in Cebu. I will wake you up when we arrive," he whispered at the same time my consciousness left me.

Iyon na lang ang natatandaan kong memorya pagkatapos niya akong puntahan sa Pamilacan Island sa gitna ng bagyo.

The thought of him flying the chopper in bad weather, our conversations, and sharing the same bed in one night sent me into spirals of emotions. Good thing. The morning after the typhoon passed, I caught the flu. I was too sick to even ponder what happened the night before. I was only informed by the staff that Maverick inaugurated the construction of the desalination plant because I couldn't even get out of bed.

A week has passed since that night. I moved back to Shangri-la. Well, I woke up a week ago in Shangri-la with all my things from Panglao already in my room. Apparently, Maverick brought me here straight from Pamilacan Island. And we haven't seen each other since that day.

I sipped on my fragrant jasmine tea.

"I suspect that Mrs. Rosario was never going to set her roots in Balud. Maaaring doon siya tumungo upang mabilis na makatawid sa Panay."

"Tingin mo nasa Panay na ulit siya?" tanong ko.

"That's highly possible. I sent our men to intercept her if she ever attempted to visit her husband in jail. She hasn't visited Mr. Rosario since. And I find that really odd, Blanche."

I agree with her. I find that odd too. Sa ilang taon niyang pagtatago, ba't ngayon pa siya babalik?

Suminghap ako at nilapag ang tasa sa round table. Tumayo ako at napahalukipkip.

"May tauhan ka nang ipinadala para kompirmahin ang hinala natin? We need to check all the ports she could have used to enter Panay."

"I already sent our men to Roxas City and Carles. Hanggang ngayon, wala pa ring balita galing sa kanila."

Tumango ko.

Kahit ano'ng pagkumbinsi ko sa sarili ko na bitawan na ang lead na 'to, hindi ko magawa-gawa. There is something that is pulling at my gut to continue following it up. I am becoming more desperate to catch Mrs. Rosario with each passing day, even if it doesn't guarantee us anything.

Mas lalo lang kasing lumalalim ang kutob ko sa paraan ng pagtatago ni Mrs. Rosario. I question how she finances this kind of nomad lifestyle since work wouldn't be an option for her. Para bang hindi naman ito ang nais niyang buhay para sa anak nila pero kinakailangan gawin. Pero bakit? I believe that Luisa threatened her family into hiding. Iyon lang ang nakikita kong rason kung ba't siya nagtatago ng ganito.

Kailangan ko siyang personal na makumbinsi na muling buksan ang kaso ng asawa niya o tumistigo laban kay Luisa. Nakakadismaya kung sakaling hindi talaga namin siya mahanap.

"Mrs. Rosario will soon run out of places to hide," I added. "Or we can bait her to come to us. Is that even possible? Because that is the only plan I think would work."

Umiling si Charlotte sa naging suhestiyon ko.

"I cannot think of a way to use Mr. Rosario to draw her out. Nasa kulungan 'yon, Blanche. Hindi natin puwedeng pakialaman 'yon doon. By doing so, you would have to expose yourself to them, which is risky for you!"

"What other choices do we have then?" I asked, with frustrations behind it now. "None, right? You'd have no choice but to back up my original plan since yours obviously did not work."