Chapter 28

Chapter 28
Chance

Before Mave could even step away, I grabbed his forearm to make him face me again. He was quick to recoil his hand, so I had to let go. Na kahit ang dilim na rito sa kusina'y kita ko paano namuo ang galit sa mga mata niya dahil lang nahawakan ko siya. Like he's disgusted simply by the sight of me.

"Why are you here? And... when did you arrive?"

Iniwas niya ang tingin palayo sa akin.

"Just now," simple niyang sagot at tinalikuran ako upang maglakad patungong back door ng mansiyon.

Sa inis, hindi ko na namalayang sumunod pala ako sa kanya. He was so eager to put distance between us that his strides were unusually long and fast. Dahil doon, napilitan din akong tapatan ang paraan ng paglalakad niya para lang maabutan siya. Yet I failed to come close to him. Nang maabutan ko, nakaupo na siya outdoor chair sa patio at kaharap ang fire pit.

The shadow and orange hue from the fire are reflecting on his masculine and angular face. His jaw was clenched.

"What the hell was that? And why were you leering behind my back?!" I asked, annoyed that he chose not to answer me then and there.

Hindi niya talaga ako sasagutin? O kahit tignan man lang habang kinakausap siya?

I huffed. "You could've, I don't know, cleared your throat, or at least made a small noise to announce your presence earlier. But no, instead, you stood in the dark, prying and eavesdropping on my call!"

Mave gave out an amused laugh. He chose to answer me with that instead of words, huh? Dahil doon, mas lalo lang akong ginanahan na gisahin siya ng tanong kung bakit siya nandito at kung bakit siya umaaligid sa akin nang dis oras ng gabi!

"So why would you do that, Mr. Galdeano?"

"You seriously want an honest answer? I don't think you would want to hear that."

"Try me, then..." tumaas kilay kong sambit.

"I was curious if all your mouth is capable of speaking are lies..." Maverick stood up, announcing his dominance over me. "And I was right, wasn't I, Miss Laurent? You're a pathological liar."

I felt my left eyebrow twitch in anger.

Kung ganito niya ako kung i-corner, talagang pinaghihinalaan niya ang katauhan ko. I was right to assume that. Hindi niya nga papalampasing kilatisin ang buong pagkatao ko. He suspects me of being Tatiana, who was supposed to be dead and was meant to stay dead to protect their family's integrity. Na kahit napatunayan namang hindi ako Galdeano, habang nabubuhay ako, nabubuhay pa rin ang alaala ng kataksilan ni Tito Eres sa pamilya nila. I was the sole reminder of that horrible pain, which is why Luisa Aboitiz desperately tried to get rid of me in the first place.

Natawa ako. "What? Are you even serious right now? You think I am lying to you? Oh, okay. What lies have I told you for you to accuse me of being a pathological liar? And honestly speaking, I haven't even spoken directly to you for longer than two minutes for you to accuse me of lying! You don't know who I am, and I certainly don't know who you are!"

His mouth rose into a sly smirk. He took a step towards me. Naisin ko mang umatras, hindi ko iyon ginawa lalo na't magmumukha akong takot sa kaunting distansya sa pagitan namin. Talo ang kung sino man ang magpapasindak. Talo ang bibigay. Talo ang siyang lalayo.

"Lies, again."

"I am not lying! I don't know you, and you don't know me."

Maverick took another step towards me.

"How can you prove that to me, hmm?"

"Excuse me, but prove what? I have nothing to prove to you." Humakbang din ako papalapit sa kanya bilang pagtanggap ng hamon niya.