Chapter 30

Chapter 30
Interested

"I'll come with you."

Umiling siya. "Stay here. We can't visit her now because they still have to do a lot of checks. I have to discuss something with Noah alone."

"Let me come with you at least," I insisted.

Suminghap siya at inayos ang coat niyang suot ko sa balikat. He gave it to me when I was shivering on our way down here.

"I will be quick. Stay here. We'll talk after."

Tumango ako. Iniwan niya ako rito sa lobby ng hospital wing na walang katao-tao. May iilang doctors and nurses lang na nagpapabalik-balik sa kuwarto ni Thalia mula pa kanina.

It didn't cross my mind that a high-end private hospital could be locked down to accommodate a patient, but apparently that's possible with Noah Verdadera.

A few minutes have passed since he left me, and I decided to peek through the hallway since I couldn't sit still. I saw Noah's furrowed brows as he spoke to Mave. Mataimtim ang pag-uusap nila. Nagkatinginan kami ni Noah bago niya tinapik sa balikat si Mave. He looked back at me before saying something to Noah. Hindi ko man narinig pero mukhang nagpaalam siya, lalo't naglalakad na siya pabalik sa akin.

Our eyes locked. His hands were in his pockets as he walked back to me. The heels of his shoes echoed down the hallway as I watched how time dragged in each of his steps. Hindi ko namalayang nasa harapan ko na siya sa pagkatulala ko.

"How is... she?" Tumikhim ako.

Muli niyang inayos ang coat niyang suot ko sa balikat.

"They're halfway through the tests. Noah will know in a few hours. We'll let her rest for now. It seems like that's all she needs."

I became tongue-tied for no reason. Kumalabog ang dibdib ko. Siguro'y tinamaan na ako ng mga alak na nainom ko ngayong gabi o talagang kinakabahan akong makasama siya ng kami lang. I don't think I will survive another chopper ride with him. I will simply cease.

"Can you update me when the results come back? I want to know her condition as soon as I can."

"Yes."

The silence between us stretched again.

"In that case, I should continue with the visit to Pamilacan tomorrow, obviously without Thalia. We shouldn't delay, even for a day. She would be disappointed to know that we halted the project because of her condition."

"Was that scheduled for tomorrow?"

I nodded. "I can do it alone. Nothing heavy. I just need to officially inaugurate the construction of the plant."

Mave was thinking deeply. Rason kung bakit hindi kaagad siya nakasagot. Tuluyan siyang hindi nakasagot nang lapitan kami ng isa sa mga tauhan niya.

"Sir, the chopper is ready."

Malalim niya akong tinignan bago bumaling sa security niya. Mave urged me to follow his men's lead towards the elevator. Tikom lang ang bibig ko nang magbigay siya ng instruction sa mga tauhan niya nang nasa helipad na kami.

Inalalayan niya ako papasok ng chopper bago niya siniguradong nakabit nang maayos ang seatbelt ko.

"Wait, you're not coming with me?" I asked out of the blue when a pilot took over the engine.

Umiling siya at ngumiti. "No. I have a meeting tomorrow."

Bakas siguro sa mukha at boses ko ang pagkadismaya kaya siya natawa. I suddenly knew that question, not just the tone, was a bit too embarrassing to ask him. He's not required to accompany me everywhere!