"She will be alive Stefan" Damon snapped, "I will gladly let Aria hate me, if it meant she was alive".

"I'm going to save both of them Damon, not just one of them" Stefan said.

"Stefan, don't do anything stupid" Damon warned.

"You really should have hid the dagger John Gilbert gave you in a better spot" Stefan said.

"No, Stefan don't you dare--", before Damon could complete his sentence, Stefan had already hanged up.

"Dammit!" Damon yelled in anger, he was angry his brother's stupidity is going to cost Aria her life.

***

After calming himself down, Damon went back into the lakehouse to see Aria sitting infront of the fire, reading one of Johnathan Gilbert's journals, Damon went towards Aria, he picked her up and placed her in his lap.

"What are you reading?" Damon asked.

"It's Johnathan Gilbert's journal" Aria replied, "He wrote so much, it's kind of insane, a lot of these things he kept from the founding families, stuff that only he knew and nobody else, stuff that you and Stefan never told me or Elena".

Damon looked at Aria in confusion, not knowing what she was on about, Aria handed him the journal, and Damon realised she was talking about the fact how after Katherine and Natalie's death, both Stefan and Damon went on a killing spree and started killing founding family members.

Damon sighed, "Me and Stefan, we were hurt, we were heartbroken, but most of all we were angry at the founding families, because we believed they caused Katherine and Natalie's death, Emily hadn't told me yet that it was Katherine who got Natalie killed and not the founding families, so I blamed the founding families for taking away the one girl who I vowed to protect with my life, so I wanted revenge, at that time, me and Stefan had no idea about the Gilbert's magical ring, we didn't know that he would magically survive".

"In the journal, he said that you and Stefan were monsters" Aria said.

"Because that's what we were, that's what I still am" Damon said.

"You're not a monster Damon" Aria said, "You're anything but a monster".

"How can you say that to me?" Damon asked, "After knowing what I did, how could say that I'm not a monster?".

"You were heartbroken" Aria said, "The girl you loved died in your arms, I'm not saying going on a killing spree was right, but I get why you did it, seeing someone you love die right infront of you is never easy".

"Which is why I'm not going to let you die" Damon said, cupping Aria's face in his hand, "Aria, I can't let you die, and in doing so I might do things that you won't like, hell you might hate me for it, but just know whatever I do or did, it was to make sure I don't lose you".

"And you're not" Aria promised, "We just got each other, I'm not ready for this to end Damon".

"And it won't" Damon promised.

Aria smiled and hugged Damon, who gladly hugged her back, Damon realised no matter what happens, he couldn't live without Aria, he managed to survive 145 years without Natalie but he doesn't think he will survive even a day without Aria, which is why he decided he will do everything in his power to save Aria, even if it meant going against his brother.