The Loughlin's

~Tian~

The Loughlin's house was just down the street a couple houses down. Two dead trees were on each side of the yard, it's branches all scraggly and tangled together as they reach high up above the side walk. The grass was dead but tall as savannah, weeds grew in the cracks of the pavement. The paint of the house had chipped away leaving a very nasty look to it, some type of vines crawled across the house as well.

Loughlin's was a two story place with a pillared front and a balcony. There were many windows to the dwelling, including on the sides and behind. The roof had different triangular forms to it, making it look somewhat interesting.

There were Rumors, gossip, secrets.. Anything you could possibly think of about the home. Maybe it was just the look of it all, but I knew that for a fact it wasn't.

The Loughlin's were the most social couple I knew when I was 7 years old. Mrs. Loughlin would regularly invite me over for some pink lemonade, which of course made Daniel tag along. We'd all sit on the front porch in the warm yet cool Las Angeles air, sipping down on our lemonade that was held in small plastic colorful cups Mrs. Loughlin bought just for us. The house was in perfect condition. The White House was whiter than it could be, no vines strewn about it. The large trees actually grew leaves, their grass was a beautiful green and trimmed, no weeds were even found in the cracks of the sidewalk.

"That tree's dying." Mrs. Loughlin pointed to the scraggly oak on the left side of the yard.

The tree never looked like that before. The leaves were falling even though it was the middle of summer. Bark on the tree started to grow some fungus.

"Can't you make it feel all better, Mrs. Loughlin?" Danny asked, his high-pitched voice was something I'd never forget.

Loughlin shook her head, "I doubt it, young sir. Trees ain't like humans," she told him, "they can't be fixed that easily."

Mrs. Loughlin, or Molly, was from some southern part of the country. Her accent was very strong, which sort of annoyed me in a way. Molly was a very kind young lady though, and I enjoyed her company. If she wanted Daniel and I over everyday, I guess that means she liked our company too.

Mr. Loughlin was hardly home during the days, but when he was, mom would rarely let us over because they told us the Loughlin's needed a break.

Just after the tree fully lost all its leaves, and the other tree started, all hell broke loose. Daniel and I hardly saw Loughlin even come out of the house, she never invited us over for lemonade. We'd see Mr. Loughlin drive by when his shift ended, but that's about it. One day, Daniel and I walked passed their house, and heard the two screaming at each other. You'd never think a beautiful couple would argue or fight, well, at least at the age I was at.

Days passed. The Loughlin's never wanted us over. One afternoon, when I was playing Jenga with Danny, wails from ambulance sirens filled my ears. I ran to the window to see if they were coming down our street. A police car passed with an ambulance on its tail. They came to a stop at the Loughlin's, and after that dad peeled me away from the window.

Turns out Mr. Loughlin and Mrs. Loughlin were at it again, which made Mr. Loughlin go insane and pull a gun out on Molly. After shooting and killing her, Mr. Loughlin put the gun up to his head and killed himself. It was a very tragic thing to hear about, especially coming from my mom.

Years passed, strangers would buy the house but move out after about a month. They told people that it was "Haunted By the Loughlin's", but those who never listened bought the house. Soon, the settlement had no one even take a look at it. The grass grew tall and died. The paint wore off and vines appeared on the place. I didn't even want to walk passed it when going to school. It scared the hell out of me.