Breaking the habit.

~George~

"I did it because I care about him!" I raised my voice at all of them, drawing attention over to me.

Anger wafted off me like a furnace. Jorel's parents were sitting close by, listening to every damn word I said. Aron stood there I front of me, being the negotiator that he always was.

"He said that he wouldn't do that ever again. Why don't you listen to him?!" Aron answered me, I was ready to throw my fist at his face.

Jorel was like a little brother to me. I was a couple years older than him, but we got along just fine. He was probably even more mature than me at times, especially back in kindergarten. Then there were all those times that I had to be there and help him get through the day. The day I literally had to take his clothes off and shove him in the shower, so he could go to school that morning.

"Because, I don't want him dead!" I slam my fist against the wall, creating a loud thump to be heard. Luckily, the wall never caved in.

Silence. They didn't realize what I saw in Jorel's eyes. When he starts on a habit, there is no breaking it. Only treatment could do that. He broke promises a lot. It was like J was never there, but another person instead. J lied, and I knew this because his eyes spat it out at me. Jordon and I were the only ones to know about his life, to know about what he would say and do.

"He's right." Jordon says, "If you had known him your whole life-- well, basically whole life-- you'd know why we were making this choice."

We held a stare for a moment, and a gently smile flashed quickly on my face, but was gone again like lightning, "Thank you for understanding."

"No hay problema."

I never wanted to tell his parents. It hurt me to know that he would go away right after he got out of the hospital. No one would know when he would get out of the place he was going to, which could be years before that could possibly happen. He would be completely changed after it, possibly never the same. It broke my heart just to even think about what I just did. It was a life changing decision, that I could possibly never take back. Maybe if I gave him another chance all the thoughts would go away, just like the scars that would fade away off his skin. Maybe that would've been a better choice.

I glanced at my best friend as he slept in the uncomfortable hospital bed, which leaned up slightly. The TV was on, and the lighting danced across his face now and then. Other than that, the room was dark, making me sleepier than I should possibly be. Maybe this was all a dream. I could possibly wake up to the beautiful sound of birds chirping in the trees, the warm sheets covering my bare shoulders as I rested in the comfy bed I had. Jorel would call me up to ask if we could go to the skate park. Jordon would join us, so would all the other guys. Tian and Dominique would skate board for a bit, until they grew tired and climbed up into our tree. J would be happy, brightening our life as if he were the second sun. We wouldn't have to worry about him.

We wouldn't have to worry at all.

Not at all.

We would run to the Loughlin's again for another "ghostly adventure", just to see Matthew and Jordon dash out of the place after hearing some noise that came from under our feet or outside. We'd laugh, possibly stay at my house and play all the video games we could possibly play. All of us would laugh, smile, talk nonsense, even playfully tackle one another.

It would be normal.