Chapter 50: Identity

Warning: Slight manga spoilers for Chapter 291 in this section

__________

(3rd POV)

Waking up in a hospital once more, (Y/n), in spite of the heavy fatigue state of her body, experiences a revealing new lightness to her. Whether it was her decision to let go of the past, or whether she decided to become her own person that was the cause of this, (Y/n) thinks to herself that it felt freer this way. Though, it is ironic that her feeling free also comes with one of her hands loosely handcuffed to the hospital likely to keep precautions. However, it is clear that her one handcuffed wrist is simply there for appearances as it's easy to escape from and is attached to a very long loose string.

Alone in the room, (Y/n) gazes out of the open window staring into the blue radiant sky. She listens to small sounds of the birds chirping along with distant chatter in the background, moving her sight to look down onto her blanketed legs. (Y/n) hums a gentle tune; one that isn't distinct but sounds familiar to one's ears; almost as if she's simply making sounds to fill the empty room.

Hearing the window open a little bit more, (Y/n) turns her head slowly and spots Dabi entering her hospital room gently. The wind blows into the room as a, surprisingly not tense but, relaxing atmosphere settles into the area around them. (Y/n) continues to smile at him as he stands there, almost waiting for an answer to a question that hasn't been asked yet. Though, (Y/n) understands completely what he's waiting for and decides to speak out.

"I'm sorry Dabi," She clearly speaks with a gentle tone while staring at him, simply smiling gently.

Dabi. pausing for a brief moment, let's out a little forced chuckle, jumping down into her room, "What do you have to be sorry for? There's nothing..."

(Y/n) reaches her hand out to him out of the covers and he comes towards her, taking her hand into his as he continues to gaze into her eyes in a caring manner. A breeze blows its way into the room, running against the curtains and their hair making it sway carefully.

As much as (Y/n) would love to run off with Dabi. she knows that she should face her problems and responsibilities face on; move on from Harlon. She wants to live for her own sake, not for someone else.

She tightens her grip onto his fingers, reinforcing her feelings, "I may not be able to stay with you but... Stay alive Dabi. Even though you're a villain, I will forever care for you and be thankful for everything; no one will comprehend my feelings, nor yours towards me, but I hope you can at least understand."

"As long as you are alive, smiling and doing well, I'll be able to stay alive and live. I'll keep living as long as you are alive," Dabi places his hand onto her head, carefully stroking her hair with his eyes locked onto hers, mixed emotions welling up inside of him.

(Y/n) places her hand into his as she determinedly states in a short and powerful sentence, "Leave 'Smoke' to me."

"I'll trust you will defeat him then," Dabi breaks into a smile, almost proud of her strong decision, understanding that she wants him to let go as well and leave this to her.

The two chuckle, enjoying the peaceful aura surrounding them; careful not to be too loud as to alert any nurse or doctor. Dabi's eyes passionately light up as he wants to tell her; he knows that she'll keep it a secret and that she won't change or think any different of him after she knows his true identity.

"I have something else I want to tell you," Dabi, out of character, nervously whispers to her; it would be his first time admitting it to someone.

(Y/n) simply kindly smiles at him, looking into his eyes without any malicious judgement, only staring at him as a person rather than a villain or someone with a bad past, humming in response, "Mhm?"