Chapter 5: Second Long Bond

When I was little, Novalie and I used to keep track of the stupidest things we had done. At the age of eight, we got into trouble for letting all the sheep out of their paddock, causing the entire village to spend four days gathering them all back. We insisted that they were sad at being trapped, but no one seemed to care. At the age of twelve, our record was broken by, what we like to call, the-reason-why-no-one-likes-us. It was affectionately named after we decided it would be funny to set the school on fire, because what else is one supposed to do when they have to present a speech they didn't prepare for in front of their classmates?

As young teenagers, we put bags over our heads in attempts to terrify all the younger children. Their screams alerted their parents, and our fun was forced to an end. When we were fifteen Maelie's mother made soup for the neighbor. She asked us to bring it over and along the way we added some of our own flavorful ingredients; slugs from the garden and the dirt attached to their slimy bodies. The neighbor only found out when she had eaten the whole stew and all that remained were the dead creatures at the bottom. Their bushes smelled like vomit for a week. I still think it was hysterical. Mrs.Patterson, from next door, did not share that sentiment.

We hadn't done something so idiotic in years; a streak of us finally being sensible. The streak was broken when my moronic best friend thought it was a good idea to not only pick a fight with a very intimidating stranger, but then to insist that we follow her. It's almost as if she was leading us to a potentially deadly situation where we could be tortured and killed. Hah.

It all started when my eye was caught by a beautiful bag being sold at a stand a few paces away. I strode over towards the vendor and struck up a conversation about the piece. I was fairly distracted, to no fault of my own, by the gorgeous fabric spanning my attention. I didn't really see exactly what happened, only noticing Novalie wasn't with me when I heard the disgruntled sounds of discomfort from a particularly angry-looking redhead. She had Novalie draped in her arms, appearing nauseous and disoriented. I put a quick end to the conversation before taking one last glance at the shop and scurrying over to the pair.

"Now what in the hell is wrong with you?" The stranger looked to be wonderfully discombobulated, and I probably would have laughed if she wasn't glaring into the eyes of Novalie.

"Y-you! You're her! You're the little girl!" Looking less than amused, the woman raised a single eyebrow before looking down and frowning distastefully at herself.

"Well, alright then. I know I'm not all that filled out, but damn. No need to be rude. I am, I'll have you know, not a 'little girl'. City folk have no respect, I swear." She grumbled angrily before dropping a babbling Novalie roughly on the ground. Turning to walk away, she was stopped by one of Novvy's strange ramblings.

"You had Vasuki. In the woods. You were with her. You called her Vasuki. You were so scared. Your eyes were so scared." Frozen in place, I took notice of the woman slowly clenching and unclenching her fists. Oh dear gods.

"What did you just say." It wasn't a question. Her voice was calm and steady. Novalie must've sensed the change in mood too, the danger in the air, as she swiftly stood from the ground, her eyes widening into new alertness and caution.

"I-" she cleared her throat, "I mean, how about we talk somewhere more private?" Glancing around, I took notice of the eyes on us. This little skirmish, obviously, was not going unnoticed.

I coughed awkwardly, "Yes, maybe we can settle whatever this is away from nosy ears and eyes." The stranger turned to me, staring as if she had just noticed my presence. Rude.