Chapter 3: Cerulean Blue

I grew up loving the color blue. Cerulean blue. When I was young I believed it was because of the breathtaking lakes that surround my home. Deep and clear, with small fish racing about in their depths. However, as time passed, the sky seemed like the more suitable option. With its cotton clouds and mesmerizing ombre of colors. Only after 14 summer festivals had passed did I realize why I loved it. It was her. My fascination had nothing to do with the world that surrounded me; it was those saltwater eyes. She was like fresh rain in spring, or the white crest of a wave that we've only read about in stories. She was wildflowers in a green field, and fallen snow on a winter's day. She was everything. She was my everything.

   I thought this was love. Who could help falling in love with her? How is it possible for someone to be so perfect? Of course, she has her flaws, but those flaws made me love her even more. Maelie.

     I don't let myself love Maelie anymore.

     Maelie and I have known each other since before we were born, as our mother's were the closest of friends. Attached at the hip. She's my built in best friend. Sometimes it feels more like an automatic friendzone; but nevertheless, she's my (despite the wishes in the back of my mind) platonic soulmate. 

   We've both lived in this village, right by the water, ever since I can remember. It's a beautiful little place. Despite being small, it's bustling with people working and shopping all day long. A community that thrives on everyone knowing everyone.

     Maelie knows everyone. I know everyone. Maelie likes everyone. I acknowledge everyone. Maelie is loved by everyone. I am ignored by everyone. It's a vicious cycle.

     "Novalie! Quickly, I need to buy flowers for Maelie. What's her favorite?" Of all the people of all the worlds, I have to speak to him. How utterly fantastic.

     I take notice of his nervous demeanor. Shifting eyes, switching the weight on his feet, sweaty hands. Gross.

     "Why do you need to buy her flowers, Finn?"

     "I just- I just w-wanted to do something nice?" he stuttered out, as if it were a question. I breathed in deeply. For the love of everything pure and wonderful in this godsforksaken universe. Just remember what Maelie said.

     "What's wrong, Novalie? Miss your mommy?"

     "The only thing I miss is the silence I was enjoying before your despicable self intruded."

     "What did you just say to me?"

     "Oh dear gods, you're deaf  and stupid. How unfortunate for you."

     I suppose, looking back on it, that was a poor choice of words. His face quickly changed from a mocking grin to a cruel sneer. I always seemed to get myself into the most unfortunate situations.

     Him and his group of thugs quickly cornered me. Did I panic?  Yes. But it's not as bad as it seems. Just because Ivan somehow ended up hanging from a thirty foot high tree; doesn't mean I lost control, per say. Rather, my abilities took over.

     I ran down to the river, tripping over scattered stones and fallen over trees. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I had hexed someone. I've never done that before. But he was irritating and insolent.

     This is the most absurd thing I've ever done.

     "That's the coolest thing you've ever done!" Maelie tumbled out from the bushes lining the riverbed, her curly hair barely contained by her pigtails.