The Misunderstanding

Start from the beginning

"Kokichi, not out here...!" I murmured before I covered my red face with my hat and my lips with my hand. Kokichi, on the other hand, looked completely normal. But one thing I learned to do recently was pick out his body language that told the truth. He looked like his usual self but kept his fists closed, they were clammy: he was actually freaking out too.

What can I say? Being the ultimate detective did have its perks.

"I thought we were gonna tell people they'll find out on their own anyways. Bye Shuichi!"

I just stood there for a moment with my hand brushing over my lips. Eventually, I did put my hat back on my head and walk down the hall. I checked the courtyard first. No one I was looking for, but Maki did tell me Kaede was in the kitchen.

So, here I am. In the kitchen doorway... Kaede was there. I actually wish she wasn't... I'm scared... Someone save me...

"H-hey, Kaede..." I gave a small, awkward wave.

"Oh, hi Shuichi!" Kaede smiled. At least I think she did... She sounded like she did, but I think I like looking at this floor.

"I was actually looking for you. I wanted to talk to you about something," Kaede admitted. Fantastic, a distraction! I know I forgot to rehearse what I was going to say to her on the way here.

"Me too, you can go first then," I offered.

"So, I've...I kinda like this guy..." Shit. "I was just hoping I could tell him today... Do you think you could help me with it...?" she asked. No, no, I don't. Do you know who I am? I can't talk to people!

Fortunedantly, I can use this to my advantage, "oh, so we're kind of in the same boat." I looked up, not at her, but up with a smile.

"Ooo~ Really? Tell me about them!"

"I don't think that's really necessary-"

"But I want to guess! Is it a girl or a boy- No! I wanna guess that part too!" Kaede insisted. Why was she so damn persistent!?

"F-fine..." I mumbled. "Umm, they're cute... They're pretty short... They have really soft hair... They have really pretty purp-... R-really pretty eyes..." Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit! I said purple! I said purple! There are only three people with purple eyes... Kaede, she's just a friend, though. Kaito, no...just-...no... And Kokichi, the only person I have shown any romantic interest in! I'm fucked.

"Ah! R-really! I think I might know who that is-"Do I hear arguing?-"I... I wanted to say I love you too!" Before I could even register what she'd said, she pulled my face to her and gave me a peck...on the lips...

"Kaede..." I breathed.

"Shuichi...?" I whirled my head around to see Kokichi in the doorway.

"Kaito?" Everyone turned to look at Kaito next to Kokichi. "I thought we were saying names..."

"Wow, Shuichi, if you really hated me that much, you could have just said so..." Kokichi kept his calm demeanor and cold voice, but he had taken his hands from behind his head, I noticed they were shaking slightly, and the tip of his nose was somewhat red. I saw this all before he crossed his arms and angled his head to the side, it looked like a trick of the light.

"Kokichi, you know I don't hate-"

"Explain."

"Well-" Why do I keep getting interrupted today?

"Explain?" Kaede asked. "Explain what?"

"Hmph, Shuichi, I would really control your girlfriend over there. My patience is running thin," Kokichi warned.