Chapter 26.

New York City, New York.
two days later, Tuesday.
Ivory

I was sitting on the bed, just coming out from the bathroom, as I changed my clothes

I was sitting on the bed, just coming out from the bathroom, as I changed my clothes. I'd actually really just came from a scheduled doctor's appointment. I went on my own this go round, as I couldn't stick around and wait for Cairo. He told me he was out handling business — but I didn't know what that meant nowadays.

I was startled as I heard the front door being slammed shut. Turning around, I saw Cairo standing in the doorway of the bedroom. He looked distraught almost, which concerned me.

" Hey baby...you okay?" I asked him softly. He nodded his head, taking off his hat and jacket.

" How'd the appointment go?"

" It went well. I'm officially 16 weeks now."

" That's good. I'm sorry I wasn't there with you today."

" It's fine C...I told you that over the phone. I just wanna know one thing."

" And what's that?"

" What were you out doing? And don't just tell me you were out handling business...I want to know what."

" You really wanna know?"

" Yes. Be honest with me."

" I was out with shopping and searching. And I got this."

He pulled a gun. A significantly large one at that. And it was loaded. I watched as he sat it on the dresser and then looked back over at me.

" Cairo...why? Why did you get that for?"

" What do you mean? We need this. You know we do. Especially with all of them threats you been getting on social media."

" You forgot about security Cairo? We can't just get more of that?"

" They ain't gon' protect all the time like this will Ivory. I don't get why you're trippin for."

" I'm trippin because I know you didn't just go and get that just to protect us. You want to kill Lance. I know you do..." I say, looking at him as he took off his hat. His silence told me that I was right.

" Cairo, I don't want you to make some stupid decision that will cost you your career. I don't want you to do all of this because of me. I mean, losing your career over a woman? How does that even sound?"

" Look Ivory — I don't give a fuck about my career at this point. You are my lady. My rock. My everything. And you are also the mother of my first child. Okay? We are a family. So if that nigga is threatening you, that means he's doing it to me and most importantly, my child. And I don't take that shit lightly. So I'm gonna do whatever I feel, in order to protect me and mines. Simple."