Chapter 38 - Hello Again

Start from the beginning

“What a nice name you have. My name’s just Daniel Mondragon.” He’s talking to my son but he’s looking at me. His stare and smile made my heart beat double time.

“Yours is better. Mine’s long but at least I have Ian as my nickname.” Christian complained.

“Ian, why don’t you get your favorite yoghurt first? I’m going just going to stay here.”  

“Okay! Tito Daniel, I’ll be back.” He excused himself and happily went to get his youghurts.

Once again, Daniel and I were left in one of the aisles in the supermarket. His eyes were still on me and I already feel nervous about his stares.

“You have a really cute son.” He decided to break the silence.

“I’m so sorry for Ian’s question. I really wasn’t… expecting that.”

“Me too. But hey, look at the bright side. We found each other in New York. That must mean something.” He said happily pulling me into another hug. This time, I hugged him back. “Its really nice seeing you again.”

“Why do you keep on hugging each other??” Ian came into the picture again making us jump into shock. Daniel just helped Christian to put his yoghurts into the cart while I pretended to look at the cereals he chose. “Mom??”

“We’re just being… friendly.” What a lame excuse. I thought to myself. I saw the corner of Daniel’s lips go up and I knew he was preventing to laugh.

“Are you done buying groceries?” He asked. I nodded yes and he took my grocery cart from me. “Well then, we’re going to have lunch and ihahatid ko na kayo sa bahay niyo. I won’t take no for an answer, Rein. Besides, we really need to catch up.”

Being the gentleman Daniel is, he payed for all our groceries and took us to this fine dining restaurant for us to have lunch. Luckily, even though Christian and I weren’t prepared, we were both wearing something that would pass for a semi-formal event.

Lunch went well. Ian always know when to behave, he was making himself busy by watching the chefs cook while Daniel and I talk. He was so fond of Ian. He told me I really did a good job in making Ian the boy who he is today kahit single parent lang ako sakanya.

What’s even more suprising is that he happens to live across the building where we live. Well, at least that’s what he said nung hinatid niya kami. Ian had his afternoon nap and we were the only ones left inside our unit since Georgina is in her photoshoot.

We were drinking red wine while siting across each other in the balcony. The chilly New York wind around us while we talk. I was amazed to see that he hasn’t change even though years have passed. He’s still the Daniel Mondragon I knew years ago, that same sweet gentleman whom I was in love before.