𝖤𝗉𝗂𝗅𝗈𝗀𝗎𝖾 : 𝖲𝗍𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖴𝗉

The loud noise from the chopper and the falling skyscrapers almost deafened everyone. But everything just seemed to fall into silence as they watched Mr. Jung fall limp from great heights and into a deep abyss of crack from the highway below.

"He's gone.." Soobin muttered in disbelief. "He's.."

"I never had the chance to say sorry.." Kai breathed, looking away.

Taehyun chewed on his lips as he sat on a cushion. He watched as Yeonjun silently sat beside Y/N who was comforting a traumatized Beomgyu. He had just gotten first aid from the nurse on board yet the pain was still unbearable. The soldiers closed the door, blocking them from the deadly heights.

"At least we have this.." Soobin pulled out the cure.

Yeonjun's lips slightly curled up. "He made sure it'd make it up here than himself.. What a mad man.."

"Is anyone else hurt?" The nurse gently asked. "I'm very sorry you had to witness that."

"Yeah.." Taehyun shortly exhaled. "We're fine.."

"My shoulder hurts.." Beomgyu insisted.

"Don't worry, we have a few more doctors back in the camp. We'll take further care of your wound once we get there." The nurse guaranteed.

"Just a little more, Gyu.." Y/N patted his head. "You can do it.."

"Miss," Soobin handed the nurse the bottle. "You might need this."

"Hmm?" She examined the bottle. "For what?"

"Our teacher formulated a working cure." Kai cocked his head towards the door. "He would've wanted the rest of the humanity to benefit from that."

"How did you know that.." She gave them a weirded look. "It's working?"

"Proof." Taehyun pointed at Beomgyu. "Bitten and now well."

The nurse gave them a kind smile before turning to her colleagues to keep the cure. They all heaved out exasperated sighs. They're finally close to legit safety. But they had to pay the price; four friends and a teacher. Taehyun covered his face to silently sob. Seulgi's death had impacted him deeply, yet he was trying not to show much. Yeonjun stared out of the window, contemplating about what just happened. Soobin hung his head low, tired. Kai and Y/N distracted themselves through tending Beomgyu.

Soon enough, the chopper neared the North and South Korean boundary. Straight towards an old wall surrounded by trees, the vehicle landed. Medical personnel and more soldiers ran to greet them.

"Cluster 7 Commander Nam." A man saluted the group. "Follow me."

"What about.. What about Beomgyu..?" Y/N asked, holding him.

"Dr. Yang," Commander Nam nodded to Beomgyu. "Take him to the tent."

"We'll be there later.." Y/N promised, kissing his forehead before he was taken away.

The five of them followed the commander through a short tunnel. On the other side, hundreds of tents and small huts were built steady on the ground. Soldiers patrol the entrance, tanks were parked everywhere. People- more like survivors, walked around the place.

"Heh.." Kai scoffed. "So we aren't alone.."

"You never were." Commander Nam said. "I'm glad you made it here."

'We made it here.' Y/N thought.

As her friends kept walking, she paused and looked back. The tunnel stretched before her eyes, showcasing the silhouettes of the remaining buildings in the far away city.

"You need to fill-out these forms for identity purposes." Commander Nam told her friends. "By then, we might be able to track your surviving relatives."

Surviving relatives. Y/N doubted this. Whether her parents were alive or not, she raised no expectations. She had lost so much people on the way.

Felix. Hyunjin. Seulgi. Irene. Their schoolmates. Mr. Jung.

"Y/N!" Yeonjun called. "What are you standing there for? Come!"

Y/N chewed on her bottom lip. Society is still alive, but not all. Amongst millions, only a few hundreds made it. She faced them. A hint of hope and relief was painted on her face. 2020 was one hell of a tough year. But now that they're here, all that's left to do is to stand up.

Hopefully, 2021 will be kinder.

[End]