Chapter 16 : Eat Slugs

"Let me introduce you to your new defence against the dark arts teacher," Gilderoy Lockhart announced as he stepped out onto the balcony above us, "me. Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, third class, Honorary member of the Dark Force Defence League and five times winner of the witch weekly's most charming smile award."

He smiled and all the girls, including me and Hermione, stared at him in awe. "But I don't talk about that. I didn't get rid of the Banden Banshee by smiling at it," he joked and smiled again. That is a charming smile.

"I see you've all bought a complete set of my books, well done. Now I thought we'd start today with a little quiz. Nothing to worry about, just to check how well you've read them," he announced and passed Hermione two quiz sheets. "Thank you," she smiled sweetly and turned to me, we both looked so excited.

I have read all his books, twice, that's how much I love him, so I'll ace this quiz.

"You have thirty minutes, start," he yelled and I started my quiz.

What is Gilderoy Lockhart's favourite colour?

Lilac

I wrote the first question. This is so easy.

What is Gilderoy Lockhart's secret ambition?

To rid the world of evil and market his own range of hair care potions.

I finished my quiz and handed it to him with a big smile. He glanced at it and smiled back at me.

After everyone had handed in their papers he started to mark them.

"Tut tut," Lockhart sighed, "hardly any of you remembered that my favourite colour is Lilac except from Miss Elizabeth Bennet and Miss Hermione Granger."

I grinned and Hermione smiled at me.

"And they both knew that my secret ambition is to rid the world of evil and market my own range of hair care potions. Good," he smirked and Hermione and I gazed at him in awe.

"Now," he shouted and we snapped back into reality, "be warned. It is my job to arm you against some of the most foulest creatures known to wizard kind."

The cage on his desk started to rattle and I leaned back a little. "You may find yourselves facing your darkest fears in this room. Know only that no harm can befall you whilst I am here. I must ask you not to scream, you might provoke them," he yelled and pulled the red blanket off that was covering the cage.

My face turned form fear to confusion in seconds. "Cornish Pixies?" I yelled. "Freshly caught Cornish Pixies," he explained and Seamus Finnegan began laughed his head off. "Laugh if you will Mr Finnegan but Pixies can be devilishly tricky little blighters. Let's see what you make of them," Gilderoy Lockhart smirked and opened the cage.

The blue pixies flew frantically everywhere. All my books fell on the floor and I screamed a little. Hermione's books were all over the floor too and everyone was running around like crazy.

"Come on now round them up, round them up, there only pixies," Lockhart smirked.

Two pixies flew over to Neville and picked him up by his ears. They flew up and hung him off the chandelier by his cloak. "Please get me down," he yelled.

Hermione, Harry, Ron and I ran to the back as everyone else ran outside the classroom. A pixie grabbed a piece of my long hair and began pulling on it.

"Get off me!" I yelled and tried to waft it away.

"Stop! Hold still," Harry ordered and grabbed his book, hitting the pixie as hard as he could. The pixie fell on to the floor. "Thanks," I shouted. "Don't mention it," he chuckled and we all picked up our books, hitting the pixies away.