12: Surprise!

The girls got dressed at record time and tumbled down the stairs leading out of Kaylan's apartment.

'He might just want to talk and then leave.' She said to Nneka feeling annoyed by her best friend's bossiness.

'You'll thank me later.' Nneka patted her on the shoulder pushing her down the stairs.

When the day's light hit Kaylan's face she felt momentarily dizzy.

'Hi,' Deji said when Nneka pushed open the gate. He came out of a Land Rover. It wasn't the car that nearly hit her that day. The memory of what happened gave her a headache.

He rushed to her. 'Are you sure you're okay?' He asked.

'I'm fine.' She said faintly.

'Well, I was thinking that to make it up to you I'd like to apologise and know that you're okay.' He probed doubtfully.

She didn't seem okay to him. Deji was tempted to take her back to the hospital.

'That wouldn't be necessary. You apologised enough in the hospital and you even called my boss. Thanks for that. You saved me my job.' She said gratefully.

'It was the least I could do.' He confessed. 'But are you sure you don't need me to take you to the hospital?' He asked.

'I was up late in the night. Nothing that a good sleep can't fix.' She rebuffed.

'Don't mind her.' Nneka said conspiratorily. 'She has been in her flat for days and some fresh air and maybe a new face wouldn't hurt.'

*****

Kaylan was led into the car by Nneka, who she didn't know how she managed to get herself into the picture. It was so Nneka. Her best friend always got her way, but there was no way she'd let her control her life like that. Deji was no one to her and the sooner Nneka realised it the better.

Besides she didn't need any type of drama with everything looking up. She was gaining some semblance of stability and she just needed a break from the office. Besides, Layo had gone on a business trip.

When he would return she'd realise that it was just infatuation. Nneka immediately hit it off with Deji and they kept chatting like she wasn't there. She felt like a third-wheel.

They soon arrived at a cafe, where they ordered tea. Deji was reserved, Kaylan noticed, listening to him and Nneka chatting. They exchanged phone numbers and he was talking about inviting them to an event when they got interrupted by a caramel-skinned lady.

Deji knew her and he introduced her as his fiancee. Nneka was momentarily stunned and Kaylan wore a smug 'I told you so face.'

'I thought you might be here honey.' The lady said. As she smiled deep dents graced her cheeks.

'I guess I'd be meeting you later babe.' He said.

'Sure thing.' She said playfully, tapping his biceps. 'Okay, bye.' She waved and returned to her table where a well-dressed man and an older woman sat.

'Aren't you going to say hi to your in-laws?' Nneka probed.

'Those' Deji questioned. 'They aren't related to her. They are having a business meeting. It'll be rude to interrupt.' He said.

Nneka's facial expression was downcast. Kaylan knew that look. After all, it wasn't every day she got to hang out with the sun of a magnate.

She enjoyed the rest of the afternoon feeling better to Nneka's expense. Deji on the other hand felt relieved that Kaylan was okay.