4: Appointment

The alarm streaked through Kaylan's consciousness until it occurred to her that it was no ordinary weekday. She exclaimed and leapt out of bed in record time, rushing to the bathroom.

She had overslept it would seem at 6:45. She was so dead. She brushed her teeth and then ran the bath.

While the bath was running she beat herself up mentally on why she had not brought out an outfit for the day, the day before.

By the time she was done with dressing up it was 8:03 am. She walked, resigned to the bus stop, waiting for transport to her destination.

She was so getting it from Layo when she arrived at work and she was not wrong. As soon as she arrived at the office Layo was glaring at her, as he spoke on the phone. She was the one who was meant to be receiving this call.

She straightened her back for the assault when he finished the call. He didn't say anything for a while, scribbling furiously on a notepad for about three minutes. When she thought he would be too absorbed to realize she even existed she powered her laptop and got to typing and checking emails.

'Do forward the email for Glory Homes.' He clipped.

She nodded, thinking he might change his mind and decide to be formal with her, but the thought soon left her mind when she was also absorbed in checking his schedule and foxing and rescheduling appointments.

To her delight, he took his suitcase giving instructions on his schedule and little tasks before rushing out. It was the best moment of her day. However, she was busy receiving calls and rescheduling meetings, making her having an internal debate on whether thirty thousand naira a month was worth the stress.

Not too long after, when Kaylan thought her fingers would fall off from the keyboard the door flung open and Layo stormed in.

He looked furious. 'Do you not pick your calls?' He blasted.

Kaylan blinked, feeling hurt by his aggressiveness.

'I don't know what you mean.' She blinked rapidly, her hands trembled as she reached for her phone to see she had ten missed calls from him. 'I didn't know.' She shot out defensively. 'It was on silent... Besides, you could have called me on the office line.' She pointed out smugly.

'I did and it was busy... Look we have an urgent presentation and I need the Glory Homes file.' He gasped.

'The Glory Homes file.' Kaylan said forlorn, looking at the disarrayed way the files in the cabinet were arranged.

'Give me a sec.' She said, already feeling stressed out.

By the time the document was found Layo had helped look for it. He asked her to come along. She felt jittery trying to make sure the appliances and the laptop were shut. She switched the calls to voicemail and locked up the door.

It was 5:00 pm and Kaylan was sure that this presentation was going to be eating past her work time. She needed a raise of Layo was going to be making her work overtime like this.