Chapter Thirty-Six

Start from the beginning

"Uh, you can't put that there," I say to her and her big eyes look up at me. I'm easily a foot taller than her but something about the way she's looking at me doesn't sit right.

"They told us to grab a cubby." She says boredly, continuing to shove her bag inside the wooden slot.

"Yeah, we just keep it empty for a reason," I say to her, hoping she has a shred of humanity in her, but she rolls her eyes.

"Whatever." She mutters, pulling out something from inside the bag.

"Hey!" I hear Izzie exclaim from behind me and turn to see her storming over. "You can't put your stuff in there!"

"What is it with you people and this cubby?" She asks, sounding more annoyed than before as Izzie looks down at her, nostrils flaring. I know that Izzie would not hesitate to fight this girl so I put a hand on her shoulder, deciding to try one last time.

"Look, there are a lot of empty cubbies, so why don't you take one of the other ones over there?" I point to the other side of the room but she doesn't even follow my gaze.

"I don't think so." She says, turning to her friend, who is also a redhead. The friend gives her a snobbish smirk that makes my blood boil.

"I said take it out." Izzie hisses, stepping toward the girl.

"Great. I get the crazy ones next to me." She mutters to her friend who chuckles at the comment.

"You wanna fight? Cause I will!" Izzie exclaims, going toe to toe with the girl and suddenly my rage disappears as I realize what a bad image this will display. We cannot be those residents who start fights on the first day.

"Iz, calm down," I mutter for only her to hear but she doesn't even register my words. The redhead raises her brow at me with an ugly smirk on her face.

"You wanna call off your guard dog?" She asks me and my eyes widen. Okay, I'm pissed now.

"Excuse me?" I ask but it comes out as more of a threat. I step forward, managing to put myself in between the girl and Izzie. "Say that again, Tinkerbell."

"What did you just call me?" The girl spits and I make a point of looking down on her small frame before Izzie pushes into my back.

"You're pretty tiny, I could take you down in just a couple of seconds," Izzie says in a threatening tone before Alex walks over suddenly, pulling her back. Izzie struggles against him and suddenly I feel all eyes on us. I turn to see the entire lockerroom gaping in our direction.

"Come on, Iz," Alex mutters, trying to drag her away but she fights back.

"Let me go!" She exclaims, pulling out of his grasp before storming out of the room, Alex following close behind, leaving me alone with the redheads. I turn back to them with a straight face.

"Don't." The girl smirks before pulling out her bag and moving it one cubby over. "I just wanted to enjoy watching her make a fool of herself."

Suddenly, the burner is on full heat in my chest as the anger builds again. I hold my tongue, not wanting to risk another scene in this locker room today. Pursing my lips, I walk over to my cubby and change as quickly as I can.

When I finish and run out of the room, the lobby is swarmed with orange and I decide to visit Meredith. It's getting a little overwhelming out in the open. When I get there, it looks like everyone else had the same idea because her hospital room is crowded with residents and interns. She's been on bed rest for a couple of days after the surgery to save her father and she's expressed several times how pissed she is about it.