Chapter 8

Percy's POV

The walk back home from school was rough, and I'm not the one even being mentally tortured. I felt this huge pressure in my chest after the whole ordeal outside the restrooms, I knew I needed to tell her the news Nico gave me but just could not break it to her, it broke me so I can't even imagine how much it would hurt Annabeth. 

As I got home and settled down, my mind could not stop racing about the whole situation and how in the world are the stupid barbies involved?? It did seem like such a petty thing to do.. I wouldn't put it past me that they were the ones behind the text, but why? If we could just get enough evidence to prove it's them we could hopefully-

My thoughts were interrupted by a buzzing sound from my phone;  text from Annabeth.

" Hey, I know we just got home but I could use a distraction from reality.. Please meet me at the Café down the street?"

 A small smile formed as I quickly replied, 

"Wise girl,, are you saying you miss me?"

Read. Got a response about 30 seconds later.

" Yes, I miss you. Now go get dressed."

Annabeth's POV

I collapsed onto my bed with a stupidly large smile on my face, I really did miss him. I realized how happy he makes me, and how I genuinely don't know how I would be if I didn't have him by my side this entire time, undeserved. We are just friends after all, but I would be lying to myself if I didn't say I have a small crush on him. He's just so kind, loving, funny, and respectful.. and handsome- BUZZ.

" Annie, I'm outside your apartment"

Oh crap, I didn't even remove my smudged mascara from earlier at school- I quickly removed my old worn off makeup and applied a layer of tinted moisturizer and mascara for a natural look, and rushed out the door to walk with Percy to the Café.

Percy was quiet the entire walk there, only speaking to compliment me and to ask if we could hold hands, which of course I agreed to. I felt something heavy was on his mind, probably relating to my situation, which only made me feel worse knowing that I have placed this huge burden on his shoulders which he did not deserve at all. I don't deserve to be in his life.

We arrived at the coffee shop, placed our orders, and sat at the table on the outside patio, admiring the beautiful greenery around us.  The awkward silence between us broke as Percy suddenly wrapped me in a hug, causing me to melt into his arms.

" I love you, Annie." 

My heart froze. What did he just say?

"... as a friend." Percy awkwardly chuckled as he pulled away from the hug. 

Our eyes met, I could feel the sincerity behind his words, I loved him too, maybe not as lovers yet, but as a soul-connecting best friend.

" I love you too Percy, as a friend" I smiled shyly

It was a scene I'll never forget; the delicious nutty aroma of the coffee brewing, the vibrancy of the plants decorating the café, the warmness of being in his arms-  feeling his hug get slightly tighter as he buries his face onto my shoulder, the deep ring of his voice in my ears whispering I love you, Annie. 

I never knew how dark my life was until Percy walked in, and showed me true happiness.

~

The rest of our evening there was a dream, we talked about University, our life plans/goals, all while drinking our steaming hot coffees, I honestly couldn't have asked for a better ending to a day.

Percy's POV

Our little friend-date at the coffee shop was... well, amazing to say the least. I told her I loved her, which I meant with every inch of my heart, but I had I feeling she freaked out so I quickly added the ' as friends' part. Looking back on it now, I regret it because although it's true, I love her to the deeper extent too. . .  I sighed and collapsed onto my bed from exhaustion. I closed my eyes and the day blended into the next.

Saturday morning 

"NO!!" I yelled as I woke up from another nightmare, the third one this week. I wipe the sweat off my face and try to breathe as I wake up to reality. I sit upon my bed trying to recall this nightmare

( 3rd person narration of nightmare) 

Percy seems to be alone in the abandoned halls of Goode Highschool, a darker older version of Goode. He walks through the creaking hallways, every small sound causing him to flinch. He notices the calculus classroom, as he cautiously walks towards the classroom he hears a painful scream from a familiar voice... and then it hits him- Annabeth. Quickly, Percy tries to run towards the classroom but to no prevail, the harder he tries to run the slower he moves. Annabeth's cries getting only louder and painfully ringing in his ears. He is willing to die first than to let Annabeth get hurt. After what felt like two eternities, he reaches the classroom only to witness his sweet girl chained by the foot to a desk and vapid disfigured creatures surrounding her, preparing to ruin her. Percy screams in anger and - 

( End of 3rd person narration) 

I sighed in frustration, that's all I remember. Every time getting more and more terrifying, every time waking up with the intense feeling of needing to protect her no matter what, I promise that to myself and get on with the day.

I was preparing myself and my mom breakfast as I receive a message from... Luke? Why the hell is Luke texting me?

"Meet me outside the school gates. 15 minutes."

 This disgusting human really has the nerve to demand me to meet him after everything?? Out of reflex I almost blocked him, but then I remembered the note Nico found lodged in the bathroom signed by the Barbies... I quickly put my coat on and race outside. It's time to get answers, one way or the other.

A/N: GUYS. IM BACK LOL. I'm genuinely so sorry for putting off the update to this story for so so long, 2020 was a rough year for all of us. BUT, I really hope you guys enjoy this chapter!! It's probably not the best chapter I've written, been experiencing severe writer's block and also had no idea what to write about. So, please let me know what you would like to see in future chapters and any ideas you. guys have. in the comments, I would love to hear them!! Of course, if I do end up using your idea I'll message you for permission and give credit in the chapter :) Feel free to leave any constructive criticism, and stay tuned for Chapter 10 out very very soon ( I promise this time <3)