chapter 31- state of mind

pov: lexie

mark hasnt woke up yet. it's been two days and amelia said not to worry until day 7 or 8. i rarely left his bedside and if i wasn't there someone was. callie, derek, jackson, arizona, and i all took shifts so he was never alone. i was sitting in the chair by his bed holding his hand when i felt movement. "mark? are you awake?" i asked.
"who are you?" he muttered.
"mark it's lexie. i'm lexie! don't you remember me?" i prayed it would all come back to him. he simply shook his head. "what about callie? or arizona? or derek?" he stared at me blankly.

amelia came in gave him a neuro exam. "i think the memory loss is temporary. it should resolve itself within a week, but don't stress it too much," she told me. only a week. i can handle a week, can't i? i walked back into mark's room. he looked at me.
"are you pregnant?" he motioned to my baby bump.
"yeah. it's actually... never mind," i decided to not overwhelm him with the fact that i was pregnant with his baby.

pov: mark

i was so confused. this woman, lexie is her name, is looking at me with these beautiful brown eyes that could calm a hurricane. she seems so familiar, so close to my heart, but i just don't know who she is. the doctor said it's temporary, but everything around me makes no sense at all.
"i wish i could remember who you are," i sighed.
"yeah, me too. do you want to know who i was to you?" lexie asked me.
"if you wouldn't mind explaining, yeah i would," i smiled.
"i'm your best friend's wife's half-sister; i'm also your wife. you're the love of my life and i'm yours. right now i'm pregnant with twins, your twins. you also have another daughter, her names sofia but that's another story. you and i were in an accident but you took all the impact. does this bring back any memories?" she looked at me with fear in her eyes.

i tried so hard to remember who she was. in the following days, my memory came back in pieces, but i never fully understood what i'd felt for lexie. dr. shepherd said that in the next 3 days my memory should be back to where it was. she also said it was likely i wouldn't remember anything from the last 4 days.

pov: lexie

i was sleeping in a chair in mark's room when i woke up to him yelling.
"lexie? lexie! what happened?" i quickly went over to his bed.
"hey it's okay. you're okay. everyone is okay. we were in an accident-" he cut me off.
"are the babies okay?!"
"the babies are fine. i'm fine. everyone is fine. i'm gonna page amelia and everyone else now, okay?" he nodded.