chapter 9- sacrifices

pov: lexie

"dr. grey, you're being paged," the nurse informed me just as i started my surgery. derek looked at me.
"is it urgent?" i asked.
"dr. wilson paged you 911 to O.R. 2, something about an infection in mrs. brighton's incision," she replied.
"oh- uh sorry dr. shepherd i have to go," i told him glumly.
"it's fine. go, i've got this," he responded. great. now i have to spend hours in SURGERY with the one person i've been try to avoid.

"dr. grey, glad you could join us!" mark yelled as i entered the O.R. i smiled through my mask, not that he could see it, but i did smile. maybe this wouldn't be so hard.
"yes i'm here dr. sloan. where do you want me?" i asked. he pointed to the spot right next to him.
"right here works." that's even better. not only do i have to sit in surgery with him but now i have to sit beside him the whole time.

pov: mark

i don't know what to do. all i want to do is lean over and kiss her and hold her close to me but i've pretty much tarnished the right to do that. i looked over to her. "how long did it take you to realize she had an SSI?" i asked her.
"she only got out of surgery yesterday and m-my intern she saw abnormal healing during pre-rounds. why? is it- is it bad?" she stuttered back.
"no not at all, just curious. it's actually a lot less developed than normal, nice catch," i replied. i tried my best to be kind to her. although she has every right to be anything but kind back it's not as bad as i thought.

pov: lexie

he makes me so nervous. all my common sense, everything i know to say, goes to crap and i don't know my left from right.
"so we caught it in time?" i asked trying to start a conversation. i hated having to talk to him but not talking was even worse.
"uhh yeah we did. we caught it really early actually," he told me. i looked at him. i wanted to kiss him and for him to just hold me forever. but he's with julia.

after the surgery i was scrubbing out when mark walked in. "lex... we need to talk. we REALLY need to talk," he told me.
"no. no i need to talk to you. what you said during the plane crash, when i was dying, did you mean it? i'm asking because if you really meant it there should be no reason we aren't together. if you really meant it then why are you still with julia?" i argued with him. it all just came flowing out of me. just then he leaned in and kissed me.
"i meant it. don't ever doubt that i meant it. but julia was willing to overlook that because she thinks i love her," he replied.
"so why are you still with her?" i asked him, still pissed off.
"i'm not. i broke up with her lexie," he told me.