Prologue

"F-E-A-R has two meanings: Forget Everything And Run or Face Everything And Rise. The choice is yours."

When they came, they gave no warning. At first, people thought they could come in peace; that we could possibly co-exist on Earth. But we were wrong. First, they took out all power, leaving us all in darkness and panic. Then they took out our military, leaving us defenseless and fearful. Next, they sent these massive, metal machines that started blowing things up. It happened so fast. They blew up our house with us still inside, killed our parents and left my sister and I orphaned and on the run. The metal machines, Mechs, are controlled by what we call Skitters. The Skitters seem to want children, not the really young ones but the able ones; and so they kill the adults. When they take the children, they strap these things onto their backs to control them; it's a sort of harness and that's what we call them. Harnessed kids can't think for themselves it seems, they wear emotionless expressions, under the Skitter's complete control.

            At the start, my family and I were at home celebrating. I had just won 1st place at my last gymnastics competition; we had ice cream before we came home and then had a sort of family night. My sister and I were in the basement when the house blew up, we managed to get out of the basement door before the house collapsed. The house was in rubble and on fire, so were many houses in the surrounding neighborhood. The monsters responsible were standing in front of our injured parents, just before they opened fire, my parents told us to run. And we did. A great day was turned into a nightmare.

We ran and ran, we survived by hiding and staying in abandoned houses in the neighborhood. I always hoped we'd run into the Masons. The Masons were like my second family. The middle son, Ben, was my best friend. I wanted to find them, but after 5 weeks of staying in the same neighborhood, it got too dangerous. I had to protect my sister and with the amount of Skitters and Mechs increasing by the day, we had to move.

About 3 months in is when it happened. When the Skitters caught my 8-year-old sister, Lucy. I blame myself. I was too occupied in looking for supplies I hadn't seen her walk out of the store. Her terrified eyes still haunt me, along with the image of her lying stunned under a Mech and its master. All I could do was stand there, frozen. I was terrified and I couldn't process what was happening, and it cost me my sister. It's my fault Lucy was taken and now all I can do is look for her and try to save her. That is my mission, my top priority since that day. I have to save her, even if I die trying.

A/N: So this is the start of my Falling Skies story. I think this show is so underrated and deserves more love. Lucy is based on my own sister, I was originally going to use her name, but I knew people would read it wrong so I had her pick the name and she chose Lucy. Skyelar's face claim is India Eisley. I hope you guys enjoy this story as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Thx!