Sanctuary pt.2

They walk until the sun comes up and the younger children are yawning tiredly. "I haven't heard anything in a while. Maybe we lost them," Hal says from beside Skyelar. "It's still a long way back to the school," Skyelar speaks. Hal looks around for a moment. "What do you think?" Skyelar asks. "They're about to fall over. Better it happens inside than out," Hal says, to which Skyelar nods in agreement. Hal and Skyelar lead the others to a nearby house, guns ready. "How's Mike gonna find us?" Matt asks his oldest brother. Hal and Skyelar share a brief look. "He told us to keep moving. He's gonna try to catch up, all right?" Hal replies, lying to keep morale and hope up. "Okay," Matt sighs. "All right, everybody. We're gonna hole up here for a couple of hours. Then we're gonna move out," Hal calls. They all head inside.

               "The rest of the kids are up in the bedroom, and they're already asleep," Lourdes says when she comes down the stairs. Hal is searching the cabinets for supplies, Jimmy sits on the ground near a window, and Skyelar sits at the table reading a book. Behind her, Rick and Ben sit on a sofa and Lourdes walks over to the grand piano. "You play?" Hal asks. "It's been a while," she opens the music piece that lays on the piano. "This was always one of my favorites," she places it back on the piano and begins to play. At the sound of the piano, Skyelar puts the book down and turns in her chair to watch Lourdes. From the couch, Ben looks at Skyelar as she smiles at the music. She has always loved music, while on sentry duty or just walking around, people often hear her humming. Her smile makes him smile; it always has. But his eyes then shift to the back of Rick's neck, where his spikes are. Ben moves his head to his own, thinking for a second.

              Ben stands up and walks over to Hal, which catches Skyelar's attention. "Think they'll find us?" Ben asks. "They'll try. You should get some sleep," Hal says, turning to Ben. "I'm not tired," Hal offers Ben water, but he shakes his head. "I should go ahead, try and get help," Ben says. Skyelar furrows her brows. "No. no. we're staying together. We get a couple hours of sleep, and then we're gonna head out," Hal states, taking a drink of water. "They're exhausted. You're exhausted. Skye won't admit it, but she is too," said girl rolls her eyes. "I can move faster on my own. Let me do this," Ben pleads. "Are you sure that's a good idea?" Jimmy butts in. Skyelar, Hal, and Ben turn to look at the boy. "Why wouldn't it be?" Ben questions. "What if you get lost...or you just keep going?" Skyelar glares at Jimmy. "Keep going where?" Ben counters. "Someplace safer," Jimmy states, somewhat spitefully. "The only place he's going...is the school. And he's right. We need the help," Hal says, walking around the table. Skyelar stands to the side, picking up Ben's jacket. "You go to the highway, and you follow it. You stay off the roads as much as you can. If you see or hear anybody, you run. You run all the way back to the school.," Hal tells him. "Okay. All right," Ben nods.

              Ben begins to head for the door but stops and turns to Hal. "Hal...I, uh...never said thanks for...getting me back from the Skitters," he says. "You're welcome, but it's Skyelar you should thank...you math geek," the two chuckle at Hal's words. "Dumb jock," Ben jeers back. Hal then turns and nods at Skyelar. She takes Hal's place in front of Ben by the door. "I, uh...I could go with you," she offers, handing him his jacket. "No, Skye. Hal needs you here. To keep the others safe," Benn tells her, taking his jacket. Their hands brush each other lightly and Skyelar boldly grabs onto his hand. "I know. I just...I don't want to lose you again," she says quietly. Ben looks down at her in shock, half due to her holding his hand and half due to her words. "Skye, I-," He stops himself from spilling his true feelings, knowing it's not the time. "I'll be safe. And I'll come back," he places his hands on her shoulders and looks into her pale green eyes. "I promise." Skyelar heaves a heavy sigh and nods. Ben pulls his best friend into hi and she wastes no time wrapping her arms around his back. The two hug for a few moments before Skyelar reluctantly lets him go. "Be safe, Benji," she says as he opens the door. "I'll come back to you," he smiles softly at her before closing the door, beginning to run back to the high school.