NINE ✴ The Emergency Room

Mila had never been to the hospital before, but it was just as she expected. White walls, the smell of bleach everywhere, and people bustling around the emergency room.

       After her neighbor came to help her, Mila remembered waking up to paramedics putting her onto a stretcher. It was terrifying but somehow, she couldn't move. The police had arrived, as well. They asked her so many questions when they realized she was awake, and at some point, she had pulled herself together enough to stop crying and answer them.

       It was all a blur, but eventually, they were on their way to the hospital, and Mila was checked into the emergency room. She had seen multiple nurses come in and out of her little room to help clean her up. They gave her painkillers and ice for her bruises. She even got a head CT and an x-ray for her wrist, which they had wrapped a thick bandage around.

       An hour and a half later, Mila was sitting in her hospital bed, staring at the closed curtains in front of her. She could hear soft voices from the rooms next to her, only separated by the same thin curtains. The emergency room wasn't exactly the most private place.

       Her mind raced with thoughts on what she was supposed to do next. Could she even go home after this, or would Psychotics just send someone else to come and finish the job? Was she even safe at the hospital?

       The police had filed a report, but what was that going to do? Were they actually going to find him based on the description she gave them? She knew for a fact that her building had no security cameras.

       Her mind briefly went to Division, wondering if she should contact Hunter and Jason. But what were they going to do? She didn't think such a large crime unit would even deal with assaults like hers.

       The thought made her frown and she felt grief well up in her chest. What was she supposed to do now?

       Just then, someone pulled her curtain to the side. Mila's head snapped up and she relaxed when she realized it was just a nurse. The lady smiled at her.

       "I'm just coming in to check up on you," she said kindly. "I know it's a long wait. The doctor will be in shortly, he's just backed up. It's a busy night today."

       Mila offered a small smile back. "It's okay. Why do I need to see a doctor?"

       "Only they can talk to you about your CT scan and x-ray," the nurse told her.

       She nodded in response, pursing her lips as she rested her head back against the pillow. She just wanted to leave now, she hated being stuck in the emergency room. But then again, where was she going to go?

       "Could I get some water?" she asked, her eyes going back to the nurse.

       The women smiled. "Of course, dear. Ice or no ice?"

       "No ice, please."

       She nodded before turning around, pushing the curtain out of her way as she stepped out. Mila's eyes went back to the roof, staring again, as she listened to the footsteps of the nurse begin to walk away. However, she was surprised when she heard her voice.

       "Oh, I'm sorry, Dr. Dawson, I didn't see you there," the nurse said to someone.

       Mila's heart dropped as her eyes immediately snapped over to the curtain, wondering if she heard that right. Dr. Dawson?

       "That's okay, I should have been more careful, anyway," a familiar voice spoke.

       She could feel her heartbeat accelerate as she pulled herself up into a sitting position with some effort, her body protesting.