35 - Bob's Proposal (Darn it, Bob!)

'But if you,' I nod at the many-mouthed blob monster, 'were only a Rasthrum imposter, then where is the real Rasthrum?'

'Restroom is a clucking fighter, that one,' Ravenna squawks.

'Is he dead?'

'Not yet. You all are supposed to die together, you see. In public, so everybody can see I defeated those humans who defeated the Coven Thirteen! A majestic display of my power!'

Thank astrophysics! At least Rasthrum is still alive.

'But,' Ravenna says, looking puzzled, 'my crystal doesn't show your friends in Lakoswanion. Perhaps they saw through my plan . . .'

'Nah, they didn't,' I sigh. 'They just don't want to risk their lives to save me. If it were Niffy in my place I'm sure they'd turn the world upside down to find her . . .'

'No, no, no,' mutters Ravenna, stroking her scythe. 'They must come. They clucking must! I need you all dead. Even if one survives, my regime will remain in danger.'

'Your Ravishness,' says a voice fit for ASMR.

My eyes, and Ravenna's, turn to the speaker - or speakers. Is it a plural if it's many mouths speaking, but they all belong to the same monster?

'Speak, Bob.'

The many-mouthed monster does: 'Not to overstep myself, but the public is getting upset. You need to establish your tyranny promptly, or you'll lose their respect. You need to maintain the fear.'

Her Ravishness raises a brow. 'What do you propose, Bob?'

Bob gazes into the orb. 'Well, since her friends are not yet in Lakoswanion. Or, at least that's what the crystal says - '

'The crystal never lies,' snaps Ravenna. 'The humans are not Earls of Bersexent to escape its watch.'

'Of course,' Bob's many mouths speak. 'If I may suggest . . . we already have two renegade with us. Restroom and the human girl. Why not hang them in public now . . .? We'll deal with the other humans when they arrive. This will conserve your stranglehold on the City Of A Hundred Haunts.'

'Hm.' Ravenna looks at me with those cold dead eyes, then at the countless ravens behind me. 'What say, my dearest little hornbills?'

There is a lot of excited, fluttering agitation.

Ravenna lifts her scythe, tracing her claw along its menacing blade. 'Very well. Let the clucking begin. Call the citizens! I'm sure they'll be pleased to know they're about to witness a double execution!'

Oops.

How does it feel to be back here? UwU