xii. PICKING SIDES

"You. You did this." The loser club sat there being scolded by Sabrina and Eddie's mom.

"Oh, be quiet mom, they didn't do shit." Sabrina snarled. Her mom had no clue what she was talking about, she just never liked them and always felt like everything was their fault.

"Don't use that language with me, Sabrina!" Her mother pointed a stern finger in her face before turning to everyone else, "You all know how delicate he is."

"We were attacked, M-Mrs. K." Bill told her, but she shook her head as she walked past them, "No. Don't." She scolded as she opened the door and forced Eddie into the car. "Don't try and blame anyone else." She slammed the door shut.

"He has a right to blame it on someone else when it wasn't their fault, mother." Sabrina spat, rolling her eyes at the woman who gave birth to her.

Her mom was trying to get the right key out, but ended up dropping them by accident. "Let me help." Beverly bent down to grab the keys but Mrs.K stuck her hand out, "Get back!" She reached down and swooped her keys up.

Getting closer to Beverly's face, she began to speak again,  "Oh, I've heard of you, Miss Marsh. And I don't want a dirty girl like you touching my son."

"Mrs. K, I..." Bill tried to talk, but she interrupted him, "No! You are all monsters. All of you."

"And Eddie is done with you. Sabrina too!" Her mother walked over to her and gripped her left arm, beginning to drag her to the car, but turned back to the group once more, "Do you hear? Done!"

Sabrina yanked her arm out of her mother's grip and spoke, "I'm not going with you."

"Yes you are, I am your mother and you will listen to me, let's go." Her mom gripped her arm once more, Sabrina pulling from her grip again.

"I wish you weren't my mother! You're just a bossy, lying bitch. Leave me alone!" Sabrina backed away from the woman. Sabrina's mom rushed towards her, laying a hand on her cheek harshly. Sabrina grabbed her cheek and looked at her mom in fright as all her friends gasped.

"You think you slapping me will make me more likely to go with you? You're sick! We all know Eddie's been your favorite since day one anyways, so get the hell out of here and live the life you've always wanted. One without me."

"You know what? You're right Sabrina, all you've been since you were born is a pain in my ass. Don't even try to come home, you're not welcome anymore." Her mother walked around the car and got into the drivers seat, but before she could leave, Sabrina opened the passenger door.

"Come on, Eds, don't go with her." She begged her brother, but he wouldn't budge. Sabrina knew he was scared and that he needed a cast for his arm, but she didn't want him with their horrible mother. "Eddie, come on." She whispered, but he shook his head. "Stay safe." She whispered, leaning forward and placing a kiss on his cheek before she stood straight up and closed the door.

This leaving her mother to drive off, leaving her daughter on the curb.

"Sabrina, you ok-" Sabrina put her hand up as a signal for Mike to stop talking, "Don't. Not right now, please." The group was now standing in the road as they had followed the car slightly.

Bill turned to face the group, "I saw the well. W-W-We know where it is a-and next time we'll be better prepared."

"No! No next time, Bill. You're insane!" Stanley yelled. "Why? We all know no one else is going to do anything." Beverly defended Bill.

"Eddie was nearly killed! Sabrina too! And look at this motherfucker!" Richie pointed over to Ben, "He's leaking Hamburger Helper!"

"We can't pretend it's gonna go away. Ben, you said it yourself, It comes back every 27 years." Beverly told them. Sabrina was frozen at the moment, her mind just wandering over what had happened with her mother.

"Fine! I'll be 40 and far away from here." Ben responded, "I thought you said you wanted to get out of this town, too."

"Because I wanna run towards something! Not away." Beverly told him, in which Richie said, "I'm sorry, who invited Molly Ringwald into the group?" Leaving Beverly to stick her middle finger up at him.

"Ya know, no offense Richie, but right now, all you sound like is a coward." Sabrina squinted her eyes at him, "You guys too! And it's kind of selfish that you don't want to stop it from hurting other kids, because it's okay if it's not you, right? You're turning into everyone from Derry who doesn't give a fuck." Sabrina pointed and spoke to everyone except Bill and Bev.

"I'm not a coward! I'm just saying, let's face facts. Real world. Georgie is dead!" Richie shouted before continuing, "Stop trying to get us killed too." Richie went to walk away, but Bill stopped him, "Georgie's not dead!"

"You couldn't save him, but you can still save yourself." Richie told Bill, trying to walk past him once more only to be stopped again.

"No! t-t-tuh-take it back!" Bill shouted, "You're scared, and we all are, but take it back!" Bill shoved Richie backwards, causing Richie to run forwards and shove the boy wearing a flannel.

Sabrina gasped as Bill threw his fist forwards and punched Richie, "Bill!"

Richie wasn't able to fight back as Mike and Stanley held his arms, "You're just a bunch of losers! Fuck off!" He yelled to the people holding him back. As Bill took a step towards Richie, Ben and Sabrina took it upon themselves to hold him back.

"You're just a bunch of losers and you'll get yourselves killed-" "Fucking stop!" "-trying to catch a fucking stupid clown!"

"Stop!" Beverly yelled. Seeing as Richie stopped fighting through his friends arms and was let go, Sabrina took this time to turn to Bill, whispering a small, "Calm down."

"This is what IT wants. IT wants to divide us. We were all together when we hurt IT.  That's why we're still alive." Beverly shouted.

"Yeah? Well, I plan to keep it that way." He walked forwards and shoved past Bill. "You're such an asshole, Rich!" Sabrina shouted at him, causing him to turn around in rage. "You're taking his side, Sabrina? Really? Your brother was almost killed because we went to fight this fucking clown!"

"But, he wasn't killed! And you know why? Because we were all with each other! And yeah, he did almost die, that's the point, Richie! We're trying to stop all the children from going missing and the deaths, but you can't seem to get that through your thick, selfish skull!" Sabrina shouted.

Richie scoffed before laughing. "I mean, we all know you have a crush on Bill but now this is just pathetic." He got on his bike and rode away.

Then Stanley left.

Then Ben.

Then Mike, but Beverly tried to stop him, "Mike."
"Guys...I can't do this. My granddad was right. I'm an outsider. Gotta stay that way." And with that, he was gone.

"Fuck!" Sabrina screamed. "Sabrina..." Beverly trailed off. "No, Bev. Seriously, don't Sabrina me right now. I just lost over half my friends- I lost my family- I don't have a place to stay. I mean, what the fuck is happening?" She screamed.

She then shook her head and began walking to her bike. "You t-tuh-too?" Bill looked at her with teary eyes. "I'm on your side, Bill. I just need to go." She whispered, "I'll call you later." And she rode off.

🎈

CHAPTER TWELVE - PICKING SIDES