The Failed D-Rank

Start from the beginning

That had settled it for Naruto. For him, it was another link to his Father. Another link to his family.

That, and it looked completely awesome.

Sarutobi found, that despite the presence of several of his subordinates, many of them in really quite senior in position; that he couldn't keep the proud smile that he currently wore, buried under his need to be professional and impartial towards all of his shinobi. He also found that neither Iruka, nor Jiraiya could either. Naruto stood before him, sporting a slightly sheepish grin, in completely new shinobi attire, looking every bit the professional shinobi.

"I take that you are here for your first mission, Naruto?" The Hokage enquired, garnering an excited nod from the blonde in front of him.

"Excellent news! Iruka over here has your assignment ready for you." The Hokage gestured to Iruka, who was unable to hold back a grimace as he extended the mission scroll towards the fresh Genin. Sarutobi sat back in his chair, and awaited the fireworks.

"I have to deliver...groceries? What the he-!" Naruto's tirade was cut short as his sensei grabbed him by the mouth with one arm, gesturing to the elderly Kage with the other.

"I think I'll explain the 'merit's' of D-ranks to him, Sarutobi-sensei. Save your ears the trouble." Jiraiya stated, before hastily exiting the mission room with a still struggling, and evidently outraged Naruto under his arm.

As they left, the room's occupants burst into laughter. In truth, they had been waiting for the blonde to turn up all day. To most in the room, although they had no animosity towards Naruto (in fact some were rather fond of the Genin), the mission assignments was but a small vindication for the many pranks the blonde had pulled over the years.

"What the hell hind of mission is this Ero-sennin! Deliver groceries? This isn't a mission it's a chore!"

Jiraiya sighed heavily, already having anticipated his apprentices reaction to. For a start, the reaction of his first apprentice had been exactly the same.

"D-rank missions are an exercise used in order to promote the growth of teamwork, before you actually set out into the field. They give Genin an insight into how they're team mates think, and what kind of people they are. Without this prior bonding, sending Genin into a combat situation would be utter suicide." Jiraiya paused to check his student's understanding before continuing. "However, as I'm sure you're aware, you are not part of any team; and whilst you will be participating in joint missions with other teams, you will be doing a great many of these D-ranks yourself, as well as while working with one of the other Genin teams."

"But why do I have to do them by myself as well?"

Jiraiya grinned at his students question.

"We will be using them as a training exercise. One of the clever things about how the D-rank missions are set up, is that they all simulate a higher-ranked mission. For example, you are being asked to deliver groceries, correct? Well when we do this, you will take this to mean that you will be leading a mission, in which you and your team are to deliver valuable intel or cargo to a location, whilst protecting the cargo from external threats. Understand?" Naruto thought for a few seconds before answering.

"You said that I would be leading a 'team'. If I'm doing these missions independently, who will be my team? And how can there be any 'external threats' for me to protect the cargo from?" Naruto asked, his curiosity genuinely growing.

"You'll be using Kage Bunshin to simulate ninja under your command, and yours truly will act as the external threats. It's your job to command your ninja effectively, in order to complete the mission without sustaining any casualties amongst your subordinates. I want you to understand, that I'm not training you to be 'just another powerful shinobi'. I training you to be a leader. Someone who can lead a unit deep into enemy territory, on what most would consider a suicide mission, and return with everyone alive. You have to understand how to command shinobi effectively, and whilst minimising harm to your ninja. As Hokage, you will have to do this constantly. And often you can't be there to protect the ninja you have sent. As a result, your orders have to be spot on, or you will have an ally's blood on your hands. A friends blood on your hands. "