What they say...

The cold air was cutting through her bare skin. Her long black hair was flowing behind her like a halo of darkness. Her once lively brown eyes looked dead. One would mistake her for a dead body if she was not standing and humming away some sad song.

Time was unknown to her. She had been standing in the same position for quite a while. Her mind was blank. Her body was unresponsive. She just stared and stared till her eyes were filled with water. But the tears had dried long ago.

She had told Tom the greatest thing that she kept from him. She was Leo. The girl that had only tried to keep a promise but didn't know how it was affecting him as well as herself.

Was she selfish?

Maybe.

But for once, Tom was not the bad guy in the story. She was. She knew that and she was drowning in her own despair.

She had expected the heir of Slytherin to scream at her. He should have done something to hurt her. Maybe even torture her for a while for the sake of her own sanity. But when she had revealed her true identity, the boy did nothing. He only left, not sparing another glance towards her.

His worried expression had changed to that of a cold and distant look within a second. Leo had that image burned into her memories and it brought shivers down her body every moment she would remember it.

The soft orange light from the morning sun reflected in her lifeless orbs. She had to look away from the brightness. It was time to head back but she didn't have the energy to face the day. But Leo had missed enough classes.

The girl dragged her body towards the Ravenclaw dorms. The common room already had a few students completing their last moment homeworks. She sighed and went towards her dorm room to change into her uniforms.

Leo didn't even dare to look into the mirror. The whispers coming from all around her were enough to let her know that she looked like a dead rat who was washed off by the hurricane.

The girl almost tripped four times while running towards her classes. She decided to skip breakfast, something she would never do if it were a normal day. But at present, the thought of food didn't sit well with her stomach.

Professor McGonagall's class was empty. Only the frail lady was sitting behind her desk and correcting papers. When Leo was the first student to enter the class, the professor assumed that it was a trick of light.

She was about to say a few mean words to the girl but when she noticed the crestfallen look on her usual mischievous face, she stopped. Leo tried to make herself as small as possible when she noticed McGonagall coming to her.

"Ms Wright?"

The girl flinched at the mention of her name.

"Are you quite alright? You look...stressed..." The teacher trailed off.

Leo fiddled with her fingers.

"Is something bothering you, dear?" The professor asked while placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. Leo shook her head weakly. Before McGonagall could press any further, students started gathering inside. The teacher shot her one last look of concern before starting her class.

Leo's mind could barely register what everyone was saying. Every class felt like an eternity. Time had stopped for her. Who knew the heir of Slytherin could affect her life to this extent? She wanted to scold herself for being friends with him. If he would just vent out all his anger at her, she would have been okay. That was normal. But now, Tom was ignoring her entire existence.

She had crossed paths with him twice in the hallways. But he didn't spare her a glance. Maybe a hateful glare would also bring some peace in her mind. But he just continued walking along with his followers behind him.