II Master of Turtures

Start from the beginning

"That's strange" she realised. He was always the first to start meany talking and make a helpless person cry. So what was stopping him?

Minerva should have noticed her apparent confusion, because she sighted, looked on Snape for acceptance and said:

"Professor Snape is mute Hermione, due to Nagini's byte.

O gods... Well it WAS horrible, but she felt grateful. It was nasty of her, she knew but relief was stronger than guilt.

"My condolences, professor" Hermione hoped that she managed to give him a smile that looked more as comforting than happy.

One look at his face left her with no delusions. He new what she thought.

Damn me.

"So how...

Snape puled the wand from his pocket and attached it firmly to her head. At first Hermione wanted to react by instinct, as what she expected was him casting some dirty curse at her. It wasn't even because she felt guilty and feared that Snape would want some kind of revenge. It was what the war made to her: turned her into often trembling, always tensed and lurking animal.

"My intention was never to harm you, Miss Granger" she heard his voice deep in her head. Oh. He saw the twisted way she react on his gesture.

"Mine wasn't to infringe you, professor" she said, her heart still pounding heavily.

"Good" that was all his answer. He also was not fond of small talk. Instead he asked her a practical question. "If we are to talk more than a few minutes, I will have to cast a full time spell on you. My arm will get tired eventually. Do you agree?"

She nodded.

"So, when you two got into an agreement, can we possibly proceed?" Minerva was a little amused.

"Yes, of course" Hermione said. "If only professor Snape..."

"Stop it Granger" he hissed at her.

She closed her eyes.

"May I ask another question, Headmistress?" Hermione looked at the lady on the other side of the desk.

"Of course, Miss Granger. Whatever bothers you we are here to straighten things up" the smile Minerva gave to her was the kind of comfort. Hermione nodded, grateful for the older woman's patience and calmness. It was all that Hermione needed right now: some peace and answers.

"Why do you need me anyway?"

"What exactly do you mean Miss Granger?" Minerva looked a little confused for once.

"Well, excuse me if it sounds a bit rude, but as you, professor, can cast the spell..."

Snape's eyebrows raised abruptly.

"Do you imagine, you silly girl, casting a couple of hundreds spells for every student to hear me?" his voice, even not real, was as cold as it's always been.

"I'm sorry sir, it was just a simple question. But let me refer to your answer, professor. You said about casting a few spells. I understand it would be a monotonous task to fulfil. Even though I bet it would be more practical and more bearable for you than my company for next two semesters."

Snape gave Minerva a meaningful look, She could simply guess what a message it carried.

"I've told you" it said. "So they had a little chatter about her earlier. How sweet..."

The older witch tighten her lips. Hermione sighted, feeling exhausted like never before.

"Don't take me wrong professor" she started to explain tiredly, "I'll be glad to help you in whatever is needed but I'm not a fool. I know what you think about me, sir."

"So now you behave either as a proper know-it-all again, Miss Granger, or like the next Sybill Trelawney. I don't want to judge what would I hate more."

In the deathly hush that felt upon them Hermione heard an almost infrasonic mutter: "Idiot, nothing else, a Griffindor and an idiot."

"I beg your pardon?"Hermione cheeks got red, as she realized that Snape was talking about her.

He gave her a crooked smile.

"No, Miss Granger, pardon me, I had no intention to make you hear that. The spell is still not perfect enough to be used at incidental human beings."

So at least she was not incidental.

It lifted her spirit just a little.

"I'm so sorry professor" she tried to smile but it ended up horribly. "I didn't knew..."

"You should have asked before making your foolish statements than" he hissed. "Anyway, apologies accepted" he added eventually. "Next time just make sure to put your brain into use, prior to say whatever comes to your Griffindor mind."

"Ha-ha, so funny professor" she thought bitterly.

Out loud she said only:

"I'm sorry I disappointed you, professor."

"Oh, you didn't Miss Granger" he answered with a dry, unpleasant voice.

"And so the real fun begins..."

"Will you excuse me, Headmistress, professor, and let me leave you? I'm so tired that I barely follow now."

"Of course my dear. I'll show you to you quarters."

Hermione nodded with relief. She was done with the dungeon bat for today. He was the same prat he was before, maybe he's gotten even meaner past few months. And she agreed to spend a year, every single day teaching poor children Potions. With him.

"Gods" she sighed.

It was going to be a hard year. Maybe the war wasn't that bad anyway. If Death Eaters would have caught her, they would eventually show her a little mercy and killed her. Here, in the presence of Severus Snape she couldn't hope for such kindness. The torture began and would continue for the next eleven months.