I The crooked girl, the crooked boy

Minerva McGonagall looked at his collegue with a deep sadness in her eyes.

"I can assure you this is nothing like an act of charity. I was only thinking that you might want to stay with us. For Merlin's sake, Severus, you've been teaching in Hogwarts almost since you've graduated. And it means something!"

His facial expression told her everything, there was no need to resort to the magic, so he could speak to her. His lips tighten, eyes narrowed and brows brought together. Those moments, when his mimicry showed such emotions, reminded Headmistress why so many students would run away at a very brief sight of their Potions Master.

"So you're going to leave, aren't you?" she asked with deep concern in her voice.

He responded with a quick nod.

They were sitting in her office, the same occupied before by Albus Dumbledore and Snape himself.

Minerva sighted and leaned her forehead on the very tips of her fingers. She seemed exhausted, so did he. Her head has been aching for some time now, but she refused to take the pain potions. She felt dizzy after them. And she couldn't be. Not right now, not when so many things had to be settled up. The new school year was just five weeks ahead and she didn't manage to do so many things. They were understaffed. No Muggle Studies professor. No Charms professor. As always there was a lack of someone willing to teach Defence of Dark Arts. And apparently, no Potions Master.

Huge parts of castle had been destroyed during The Battle. And as everyone in the Ministry of Magic were grateful for the sacrifices they've made, no one have come to help them with all the mess war has left at Hogwarts. Minerva felt so alone, so abandoned by everyone... Albus died more than a year ago. Since then, the time followed has been probably the hardest in her life. Flitwick decided to retire. She couldn't blame him, as she didn't blame Snape for having no further desire on staying here with her, on the ashes of Hogwart. But how would she rebuilt the school without them? Even though Snape always tended to be mean to others, the school staff learned, if not to like him, than at least to understand and respect him. Minerva knew Potions Master to long and, because of Albus, to well to not love him in an almost motherly way. She's been noticing his sorrow for the past two decades. She always felt sorry for him. But now, his eyes were emptier than ever, his face as mask made of clay, he couldn't even speak his own voice. She knew it the very moment she looked at him, when he woke up at the Hospital Wing, few days after the Battle: he lost his will of life. Harry was safe. He owed Lilly no more - there was nothing more he could do for the boy. He was empty, drained and his further existence senseless.

She feared what could he possibly do if he would leave Hogwart: a man without a family, without a job. No hobbies, except for ruining youths lives.

Old woman sighted again. She had to come up with something quickly. She needed him here, and he needed a place to stay and a job to put his thoughts on.

"You'll find someone on my place Minerva, I'm positive" she heard his voice vibrating in her head. They used a charm which let him to speak directly into her mind.

Minerva laughed bitterly.

"Well, it seems you are a way bigger optimist than I am, Severus."

Snape smiled at her slightly.

"You never were an optimist."

"You either" she replied dryly.

He nodded.

They sat there in silence for a couple of minutes. Snape gazed at the grey sky, his face motionless, his eyes still.

"And if I would ask you to stay for only one more year?" she gave him a pleading look.