Creature AU - {Part 2: Marliza}

E. Schuy: Witch

M. Lew: Shape Shifter

|Eliza|

I quickly ran through the woods, trying not to trip and fall over rocks. I clutched onto the magical gem that I had finally retrieved after years of searching for it. I flinch as I hear the loud barking and howling of the hell hounds that chased after me.

I see a nearby river and I quickly bend the water out of my way and run across it. I let the water drop on one of the three wolves chasing me, the other two starting to catch up.

I get closer to the edge of a cliff and quickly cast a floating enchantment on my shoes. I glance behind me and jump without a second thought. One of the hounds fail to stop in time and slips and falls off the cliff where it's pierced by a sharp rock. The last hound searches for another way to get to me. I float down and land on my feet and start running again.

The forest starts getting thicker and darker, making it harder to see. I scrape my leg on a branch and fall forward, roughly hitting the ground. My head hits the trunk of a tree. I sit up too quickly and feel the need to either faint or lay down again. I hear the low growl of the third hell hound. I try casting a spell, but I can't think straight.

I smell the scent of burning wood and accept the fact that my journey of life ends here. I hear the hound approaching at a fast pace and before I can even think, a gray wolf tackles the hound to the ground and they both roll down a hill, snarling and biting at each other. After a long period of growling, I hear a painful snap and a loud whimper.

I finally gather my thoughts together and stand up. I go to the edge of the hill where the hound and wolf fell and I peer down. At first I don't see anything, but I sight a breath of relief when I see the gray wolf emerge from the shadows. She quickly makes her way up the hill to me and I smile.

"Hey beautiful."

She growls at me before shifting back into her human form and hiding behind a tree. "Dammit Eliza- I told you to wait for me. You could've been killed!"

"But I wasn't. Thank you, by the way. Look- I got the gem!"

She peaks from behind the tree. "Yeah I can't really see it from here so-"

"Oh right um- here."

I take off my black cloak and hand it to her. She quickly slips it on and steps from behind the tree, holding it together with her arms. "Great. Now are you sure you really want to strip yourself of your magical abilities?"

"For us to finally live in peace? I'm willing. No power in the world is worth my love for you."

Maria smiles and kisses my cheek. "Okay then. I wish there was another way though..." she mumbles. "You know the witch law 'Ria. I'm not allowed to be with any species other than my own. I don't want to marry a warlock. I want to be with you."

I cup her face and she blushes. She grabs my hands. "Let's go then."

---

"Okay- final ingredient. Three coins from the palace of Newt."

Maria nodded and handed me the coins. I dropped them in my serum and watched them dissolve. The serum turns a foggy white color.

"And there we have it. A simple potion that could change our lives for the better." I take the serum and examine it. Maria looks at it over my shoulder and kisses my neck. "And forever. This potion is permanent. Nothing can return your powers."

I nod and think for a moment. Maria looks at me confused. "Nervous?" she asks. I hesitantly nod. "You know you don't have to. We could always run away together," she says. "Yeah, but I've been running my entire life. Both figuratively and literally. I'm the most wanted witch in the land. If I'm human, they won't be able to burn me at the stake for my crimes. Because that law only applies to witches," I respond.

She grimaces and nods. "If you must."

I hesitate before bringing the serum to my lips. I take a small sip of it and sit it down. I feel the energy of my magic slowly drain its self out of my body and sigh. It takes a few minutes before it's completely gone. I sigh and lean against my table, accidentally knocking over the serum. "Dammit-" I flick my hand and immediately the serum and its container was restored on the table in front of me.

"SHIT!"

The serum turns a dark purple and fizzes a bit. Maria walks over. "Wh- what happened? Did it work?" She asked. I sigh and throw the serum into the fire place. "It didn't," I huff and plop down on the couch. Maria flinches a bit and sits in my lap.

"Lizzie."

I look at her with tears in my eyes. She cups my face. "Listen to me. Forget the stupid serum. Forget that dumb ass witch law. Because I love you and you love me. Who cares what you are? As long as we have each other," she says softly.

I smile a bit. "There's my beautiful fiancee," she says and kisses me. I kiss her back and wrap my arms around her waist. "You may still be a witch, but you're still a living being with your own right and personal laws. Even if those laws go against witch law. So what do you say, me and you, up in the mountains?"

I smile widely and kiss her forehead. "It sounds perfect."

---

"And here we are. Open your eyes now."

I slowly open my eyes slowly and gasp at the sight of our home. It's small and cottage-like in a cozy sort of way. It's covered in beautiful mountain flowers whilst also blending in with the mountain.  I hug Maria and kiss her. She kisses back and smiles. "I love you Lizzie," she says. "I love you too 'Ria," I respond. She smirks and picks me up bridal-style.

"Ack-! What are you doing?"

"Carrying you across the threshold."

"... Shouldn't I be doing that?"

"I built the house, I carry you."

"Mm fine. Just this once."

Maria smiles and carries me into our cottage, shutting the door behind her. She sits on the couch and we cuddle each other. I kiss her silver ring. "Love you, my wife," I say. "Love you too, Lizzie." She kisses my forehead and I smile. My wife.

---