Ch. 45 Double Yolk

Start from the beginning

"Great job, Scott! You did it! There's still a couple shell pieces, but that's besides the point. Everyone gets shells in from time to time. I'm so proud of you!"

As Kevin praised him, Scott just stared at the bowl.

"... I did it." He whispered to himself. A smile slowly crept across his face. "I did it!"

"You did it!"

"I actually did it! Kevin thank you so much!" Scott exclaimed, grabbing Kevin in a hug and spinning around. "Oh, sorry! Did I squeeze too tight? Did I hurt you?" He asked, quickly letting go of him.

"No, you're fine." Kevin laughed and patted him on the back. "Let's see if you can do it again. If you can crack a dozen eggs without messing up, then we'll tackle the next challenge."

"Next challenge?"

"Yeah, you didn't think you'd just be doing it against the table did you?"

"Uhh..."

"Look, just focus on this dozen and I'll explain more later."

Scott nodded and grabbed another egg. By the time he finished the dozen, Scott had gotten pretty good at cracking the eggs. He even managed to do one without getting any shells in the bowl. He was really excited about that.

As time went on, Kevin could see him getting more confident with himself, and decided it was time for the next step.

This time, when Kevin opened another carton of eggs, he only took out half of them. Scott looked at him confused but didn't say anything, continuing his task until he was out of eggs. He waited and looked at Kevin expectantly.

"What?" Kevin asked.

"Um... aren't you gonna take out the rest of the eggs?"

"Nope. Now it's your turn. You've gotten pretty good at cracking the eggs against the table, so now you have to take them out of the carton yourself." He explained, and Scott stared at him. "Just relax, and remember, you can mess up as much as you need."

Scott slowly nodded, but he could feel uneasiness creeping up his spine. As he looked at the eggs in the carton, the weird feeling in his muscles came back. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath to calm himself.

Feeling ready, he reached forward and only hesitated for a moment before grabbing the first egg. He trapped it between his thumb and middle finger and slowly lifted it. Letting out a breath of relief, he went to bring it to the middle of the table, when it slipped out of his hand.

The egg fell to the table with an audible 'crack', and you could see the egg whites spilling out from the side. The two of them sat in silence for a few seconds before Scott heard a snicker. Then Kevin was leaning against the table, trying and failing to hide his laughter.

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh. It's just... the sound it made, and it was so quiet after." He said between his laughing fit.

Scott blushed as a chuckle escaped his own mouth. Kevin finally calmed down and grabbed some paper towels.

"Alright, here. You can throw it away."

"Really? But-"

"It's fine, Scott. They're not going to miss a single egg. Just throw it out and try again. Maybe hold it a bit tighter this time."

Scott chuckled again and cleaned up the mess. Turning his attention back to the eggs, he grabbed one again and carefully lifted it out of the carton. This time, he turned his hand and let the egg rest in his palm. He looked at it for a second and nodded.