Heading To Rainbase

Start from the beginning

"Come up here, Chopper," I turn, settling into the bed. "You're too precious to sleep alone. I'll make sure that we both get a good night's sleep."

"Where is Luffy?" Usopp asks.

"He was out with Toto," Vivi says. "I'm not really sure what he was doing, but he didn't want to come in."

"That's Luffy," I hum, resting my arm over Chopper as he lies down next to me.

Nami extinguishes the light in the room, plunging us into a soft darkness.

My eyes close, hoping for a quick sleep, but it doesn't come. I can hear the soft snores of a couple of the boys, and Chopper makes the cutest little sounds when he falls asleep, but I do not fall into the sweet darkness that easily. And I know exactly why.

The door to the room opens, and I open my eyes just enough to see the old man place Luffy on the ground where a spot was made for the boy. Then Toto is leave as quietly as he came in.

"Sorry Chopper," I whisper, climbing out of bed and making my way down to Luffy. I lie down next to him, scooting right into his arms.

Even in his sleep, his arms reach out and pull me into his chest. "Dumpling."

I smile, letting my eyes fall closed again as I feel comfort in being in Luffy's hold. "I'm right here," I sigh. "Right where I should be."

+~*~*~*~*~*~+

The next morning is one of the more uneventful mornings we have had in a long time. Luffy was a little confused when he woke up with me in his arms, but there was no complaining. All he did was hold me closer before we were forced to get up and get ready. Then we had a small breakfast, doing our best to quench our thirsts with no water, and then we are heading out to get back on our desert journey.

"Vivi, I just want to ask for you forgiveness for the state of this place," Toto says as we stand at the edge of town. "It is a disgraceful sight."

"There is no need to apologize," Vivi says. "We may be going now Toto, but that is only because we have to stop all this hell that is happening."

"Here, I want you to have this," he hands Luffy a small barrel.

"Water! Whoa!" Luffy exclaims.

"You hit water!?" Usopp asks.

"I did, right after you feel asleep when digging last night," Toto nods at Luffy. "I hit damp sand, and that was what I was able to extract."

"I don't know what that means, but thank you," Luffy bows a few times. "I will drink it slowly!"

"It is genuine Yuba water, and I am sorry that there isn't more for your journey."

In the next few minutes, we head out the way we came in last night. Our destination in a complete opposite direction than we first thought. A small fight over the small barrel of water, but it is eventually decided that Luffy was the one who helped get it, so he will be the one to keep it. Using a piece of string, it is secured around his neck like a necklace.

We pass by a single dying tree, and the seriousness of our mission really settles on all of us. That there is so much at stake. That we have to save this entire country, but we're just a band of pirates. We aren't meant to be heroes in that kind of sense, yet here we are.

Luffy plops down, leaning up against the tree.

I stop, looking back at him. "Are you feeling sick, Luff?"