Chapter 6: Strange Feelings

Luz's Perspective:

One day had passed following the chaotic set of auditions and Luz couldn't help but notice how her face flushed every single time she remembered any single event that took place during that day. The number of times she and Amity touched, and the way the witch sang so beautifully, it was all too much to consume in just a single day. The overwhelming and incredibly confusing tornado of emotions fogged the human's brain with dust, and she needed to shake free. She figured these feelings were far too personal to simply vent about to Eda or King, so she rushed over to her bag and zipped it open, shuffling her hands through its many contents until she pulled out a plum-colored journal. Writing her discombobulated set of emotions had to relieve some stress right? She sat herself down at her desk and fell into a slouch, leaning lazily into her left palm as her elbow made contact with the surface of the table. With her other hand, she began to scribble messy words along the pages of her diary:

I don't know why I'm doing this... diary thing? It's not something I'd normally turn to but I'm just not used to, not talking about how I feel? It's just, harder to talk about what I feel when I don't even know what it is. I haven't felt this before with a friend. Why am I so nervous all of the time? Friends make each other super nervous sometimes right? I wonder if Amity's bizarre behavior is finally getting to me or something. I think I should say something about it, but a part of me feels like that would just scare her even more, and I don't wanna do that to her... I keep doing things that just feel right at the time, but she seems to freak out about it all the time, and it's starting to feel sort of.. contagious... GAH- that makes absolutely zero sense!

Luz dropped her now dull pencil and grabbed her face with both hands, feeling it go hot as it turned red. She couldn't even write this down? Was she that pathetic? What was Amity doing to her! She released an exasperated sigh and hesitantly picked up her writing utensil once again.

I just want to be around her all the time and I don't know why-

An abrupt knock on her room door startled her, sending her tumbling off her chair and crashing to the floor. "Come in!" She gasped as she struggled to her feet and awkwardly draped her arms over the purple journal. Eda swung the door open and made an entrance, quickly changing her sly expression to a more concerned one as she took in the disastrous scene. "Sheesh kid what's up with you?" Luz broke away from the diary and groaned miserably, flopping onto her bed. What was the point in hiding it? "I DON'T EVEN KNOW," she remarked honestly "Eda I've been poisoned by this odd feeling in my stomach- like this weird flutter in my chest- I think I'm sick." Eda covered her mouth and snorted in an attempt to hold back laugher, which caused Luz to grow visibly flustered. "WHAT?" she replied self-consciously. Eda broke into a chuckle and wiped away a tear, "Who are you around when you're feeling like this Luz?" Luz raised her chocolatey oculars slightly to meet Eda's gaze, now beginning to grow curious at her remark. "Amity. Why does that matter?" she queried, still pouting partially. Her witchy mum took a couple of minutes to ponder, almost as if she were recalling her own memories of witnessing the two dorks. Suddenly, she smirked, "Makes sense actually." What was that supposed to mean? None of this made any sense! Luz scrunched her brows and stood to her feet. "What? Can you please explain? I'm lost." Eda casually shrugged before responding, "Sorry dude, that's an adventure you've gotta go through on your own" she laughed sheepishly before closing the door behind her, leaving Luz speechless. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON? She face-palmed and began pacing around her room restlessly. "Should I ask Amity about this, or would she get too worried?" she thought aloud. The questions that muddled in Luz's brain made her feel all jittery. Every time she thought about Amity at all she seemed to feel this way, and Eda seemed pretty unfazed by all of this somehow. A part of Luz felt like she knew what might be going on, but it was pushed deep down and left in the dust. She felt as though the only way she could sort this out for sure was by telling Amity. She had to. However, she faced yet another obstacle. How would she do this? And when? She paced toward her open diary and closed it before aggressively shoving it deep within the depths of her backpack once again.

The following day, Luz tried to scope out the green-haired witch at Hexside, but unfortunately to no avail. She wondered if Amity was even at school today until finally the familiar voice perked her ears. Luz rotated quickly to face her, surprised that she'd been summoned at all. Normally she had to be the one to do the searching and the shouting. "Amity! There you are! I was looking for you," her face instantaneously flushed at the sound of her own word vomit but she was able to play it cool. Amity's face turned a bright pink, "You were? How come?" She shuffled her boots shyly and looked down at the cobblestone beneath them. "Amity, I wanted to talk to you about something... strange." The young witch displayed obvious confusion but pressed onward "Go on..." Luz hesitated for a moment but then caught her words and spoke clearly. "No. I can't right now. Can we talk later though?" Amity's puzzled expression only continued to grow more obscure, but she soon shrugged and nodded. "Of course Luz, just let me know." She smiled reassuringly and met Luz's eyes finally. The human rubbed her shoulder sleeve nervously and reciprocated the gentle grin.

What had she just gotten herself into? She was going to ruin everything!