TEN.

chapter tenfamily boundin harm's way

chapter ten
family bound
in harm's way

Waking up and remembering where I was made me sick that it wasn't a dream. I just wanted to be back at the cabin with my dad rather than in the place my mum died. All the memories were resurfacing since being here.

I stand with the others as we wait for Carver to come and give us our orders, it felt weird not having the whole group there. I'm just glad that I still had Nick.

The gate opens, and Carver walks in, I could already taste the venom in my mouth at the sight of him.

"There's been increased walker activity along the fence, so be mindful when outside the walls. The herd's moved a little closer as of this morning, but that still doesn't necessarily mean we'll be hit. Know we're monitoring the situation. Now... There are some folks might be sore about what happened...at how things went. Well, that's all in the past now. Some of you are new to our community. Some of you are members who went astray. But know that you can find redemption here...forgiveness...by proving your worth through what will undoubtedly be hard work." Carver yaps on, I glance over to Sarah and Clementine, I see Sarah trying to talk to her but Clems trying to quiet her down. I knew this wouldn't end well.

"Yeah, Reggie slipped up last night, but...that doesn't mean he should lose hope. Today will be a test for him, so let's all wish him the best of luck." Carver looks at Reggie "Reggie, you're nearly back in. Keep following the path, and we'll welcome you back with open arms."

I notice Carvers eyes land on Sarah as she speaks, he ignores her for the time being "I'll let Reggie be an example to you all. Salvation is available, but it must be earned."

"Kenneth will be taking over Reggie's duties outside the wall. Michael will continue on showing his value." After a couple moments of silence, I hear Sarah's voice again.

"Carlos!" Carver snaps, making everyone jump and look at him.

"Yes?"

" Your child seems to be in need of correction."

"I'm sorry, I--Sarah, a--apologize to Mr. Carver." Carlos turns to Sarah.

"S--I'm...sorry, sir." I watch in worry as Carver shakes his head.

"No, no. That ain't gonna cut it. I can't have this kind of behavior on day one of your reform. You discipline her now, Carlos." Carver explains.

"How do you propose that I--"

"One good smack across the mouth should do it. It'll make her think twice before opening it up again. Go on, we'll wait."