NINE.

chapter nine welcome back home in harm's way

chapter nine
welcome back home
in harm's way

We sat in the back of a semi-truck, the group was in complete silence, we had just stopped to let Clementine and Sarah go to the bathroom but once they got back they didn't waste a second to get driving again. I wasn't sure how long we had been driving for but the chances of Luke coming seemed less and less.

Maybe Carver was right, maybe Luke did cut and run. I couldn't see him doing it but then again I didn't see him doing a lot of stuff he had done.

As I sat with my eyes closed, I imagined Luke's arm around me and whispering to me that's it's okay and that'll he will make sure we're safe but he wasn't there and he wasn't here to make sure I was okay and that scared me.

"Alright, we gotta do something. Come on. Anyone got anything sharp? Anything? We need to get these bindings off! Hey! Clem, help me find something to get these off. Anything sharp that could cut these..." I roll my eyes, I leaned my back against the metal wall, not wanting to partake in this, no point in trying to escape. Escaping is what ended us up here.

"And what good is that gonna do?" Rebecca says, pretty much speaking for most of us.

"The hell is wrong with you people? We gotta get out of here."

"Like what?" Clem nods asks.

Kenny shrugs "What do you mean, "like what"? Something sharp. Anything that can help! A fuckin'--I don't know. Anything!" Clem starts to look around for something as Kenny looks at us all, we sit in silence just waiting for the inevitable.

"We're in a fuckin' precarious position here. We gotta do something about that!" Kenny snaps at us, did he know how to shut his goddamn mouth.

"Settle down, Kenny. They took everything. We have to keep a level head." Carlos spoke calmly, wanting to keep everyone calm which is something Kenny was not doing.

"He's right. You don't know Bill like we do." Rebecca says

"Bill? This whole time it's Carver, Carver, Carver, now he's fuckin' Bill? Oh, I see what it is. Y'all are just gettin' a ride home, aren't ya? That's what's goin' on here."

"Say that again." Nick speaks up from beside me.

"I'd stay out of this, boy."

"Mister, I ain't a boy."

"No, right...you're a man."

"You don't understand. He's different...he's worse." Rebecca tries to explain but I don't think there was words to describe Carver.