SIX

chapter sixmistakes a house divided

chapter six
mistakes
a house divided

Seeing the ski lodge right in front of me was a relief, and upon arrival seeing the boarded doors and windows made me feel better about the place and that it was a safe place to stay the night.

Luke hadn't said much to me since the station but he had been looking at me every once in awhile to make sure I was alright. I wanted to talk to him about it but I couldn't get him alone no matter how hard I tried.

"Well? What are we waiting for?" Rebecca called out, as she walked towards me and I offered my arm to lean on since she was exhausted from the five day walk. She took my offer gladly, letting out a breath of relief.

I mean we all were but she had every right to complain she was carrying a baby. Although the complaining got annoying, I didn't felt like i had the right to voice that.

"We have to be careful." Carlos responded as he examined the doors of the lodge.

"Careful? We've been on the road for five days. My back is done bein' careful."

"Doesn't look like anybody's home. Damn. Nailed down tight. I'll check 'round front." Alvin speaks up, Carlos offered to go with him as they leave.

I guide Rebecca towards the railing a little away from Clementine, I watch Luke walk up to her and they speak for a bit before they walk away. Luke turns his head and connects with my eyes but I quickly look away.

"What's happening with you two?" Rebecca speaks up, noticing the interaction between us.

"What? Who? Luke and I? Nothing, nothing at all" I sigh, turning to look at him again to see him standing under Clementine as she climbs up the ski lift.

"Yeah, right. The inseparable suddenly becomes separated. Yeah no honey, you're not fooling anyone" I roll my eyes playfully as suddenly I hear a gun click, I look up to see two males and a female stand in front of Rebecca and I.

"Who the fuck are you?" The man with the beard asks whose also pointing a rifle at me.

I step to the side of Rebecca, his rifle follows my movements as I stand tall in front of him, not wanting to seem weak. In the corner of my eye, I watch Rebecca back away to go fetch the others.

"I don't need to answer to you. Put the fucking rifle down before you get a bit too trigger happy and put a bullet in someone's head" I snarl at the man, but he doesn't budge still aiming at me.

"The only head this bullet will be going into is yours and I don't seem to have a problem with that" Suddenly a hand finds mine and i'm pulled behind a familiar brown haired boy, relief fills me as I watch Luke stand in front of me and narrow his eyes at the group in front of us.