Finally

Married for 2 years, you and Demi had finally agreed that you were both ready for children. 3 IVF cycles later and you were starting to lose hope that a baby would ever happen. The process to having a baby was long and gruelling, it was a struggle to watch Demi inject herself everyday but it was something you would need to go through to have that baby you both craved so much.

It wasn't until one morning when Demi could barely leave the bathroom due to her nausea and vomiting that excitement started to bubble away inside you. Could this be it? Could this be the start of your journey into parenthood?

Having been through 3 IVF cycles before, you had a stack of pregnancy tests in the bathroom cabinet. The sight of them made your heart ache every time you saw them after having recently received a negative result but you pushed through, and you tried again because you both wanted a baby.

You ran your fingers through Demi's hair and brought it up into a ponytail as she remained hunched over the toilet. The sight made your heart ache. It made you feel guilty, but this was something that you both wanted so Demi always said that you had no reason to feel guilty. She offered to carry the baby. You never objected because the thought of seeing Demi pregnant and being able to care for her while she grew your child was something you couldn't resist. You dreamt of it.

"Maybe we should take a test, Babe" you spoke as she pushed herself away from the toilet and leant back against you. You pressed a gentle kiss to her temple and began to trace patterns on her lower tummy that you both seemed to look down at.

"What if I'm not though? We'll just go through the same heartache again."

"But what if you are?" she pushed away from you and turned to face you, her lips twitching ever so slightly at the corners. "What if we finally have a little baby nestled away in here?" you ran your hand gently along her stomach. Your eyes watched hers and your heart skipped a beat at her wide smile.

"Okay, I'll take a test" the smile on your face matched Demi's as you cupped her chin in your hand and leant to brush your lips against hers. Your lips tingled at the touch, like they always did.

"I'll wait outside" she nodded so you pushed yourself up from the floor and headed from the bathroom. Your heart was pounding against your ribcage and you could feel the butterflies beginning to flutter around in your tummy as you nervously waited for your wife to step out of the bathroom. You began to nibble on your fingernails, your eyes remaining locked on the bathroom door as you went through the different scenarios.

You stood at the sound of the door handle, your heart rate just increasing as your eyes locked with Demi's. She had the test clutched in her hand and you could tell that she didn't know the result just by staring into her honey eyes.

"I'm scared" you stepped towards her and cupped her gorgeous face in your sweaty hands. "I don't want it to be negative again" her eyes welled up with tears and your heart broke a little. You wrapped your arms around her neck and held her against you as she softly cried into your neck. You pressed a kiss to the nape of her neck and began to play with the ends of her hair.

You didn't pull away until Demi did. It was something you stopped doing when she hit a downward spiral a year ago. You always held her until she no longer needed it. You stroked a loose strand of hair behind her ear and then wiped gently at her cheek with the pad of your thumb.

"How long do we have to wait?"

"It-It should be ready" you nodded, glancing down at the test that was clutched tightly in Demi's hand. "Can you look?" you swallowed hard as you reached out to take the test from her. Your stomach was full of butterflies as you slowly flipped the test over to reveal the result. Your mouth dropped which your hand flew up to cover, tears rapidly filling up your eyes. "What? What is it? What does it say?" you could hear the panic in Demi's voice. You glanced up to meet her gaze and your lips curled up into a wide smile.

"We-We're pregnant" her mouth dropped.

"What?" she grabbed the test from your hand and released a sob as she saw the little plus sign. "We're having a baby?" you nodded, squealing with excitement as you locked your arms around Demi and twirled her around in a circle.

"We're having a baby, and I love them so much already, just like I love their mommy" you lowered Demi to the floor and cupped her face in your hands.

"Ditto" the smile on Demi's face widened, tears pouring down both of your cheeks as your lips crashed together, giddy about the baby that was growing in Demi's belly.

——